An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 49

Back at the liminal fields, the goddesses gathered at their picnic spot by the stream, the low table placed over its currents and colorful pillows and rugs strewn about the meadow. Cassie roamed about gathering wild poppies and lavender to fashion into crowns. Aurae was whipping up a tray of something airy to eat and Maeve and Kitsune gathered herbs to throw into the bonfire later. The other goddesses lounged in relaxation after their long night. Lhamo smoked a pipe filled with something fragrant.

It was dawn, and the sunrise shot glorious colors through the sky. Dona held wineglasses up to the coral and salmon and peach clouds and filled each one to the brim with the vaporous elixir. She handed them around as Cassie placed her flower crowns on each head, even Lhamo's.

"Adelfés!" The goddesses toasted their sisterhood in their tradition. The sunrise tasted like pure energy. They had been up all night, but Kate felt like she had never been more awake. They talked and laughed, ate and drank, and finally rested. Later, Anya found Kate and Adam laying on a mossy patch under a tree. They rose to a seated position as she joined them. Her face was somber, and Kate felt a moment of nerves. Anya noticed her concern.

"Be calm. Nothing is wrong, but I need to make you aware of something. Both of you."

Adam and Kate exchanged glances. "During the creation of the celestial sphere, when Kate's DNA strand broke, we bonded it with Adam's."

"Yes, we know," Kate said.

"Because of this bond, you are both inextricably linked now. Kate – if you are to become an Earth creature – Adam will need to also become one."

Kate's eyes grew wide. Adam's lit up. "Awesome!"

"Wait – that's okay with you?" she questioned. He didn't seem to be having any of the hesitation she had felt all along.

"Okay? Why wouldn't it be? Now I get to experience your world with you – as wolves, or trees, or earthworms, whatever." He reached over to hug her.

"I do not want to be a worm, thanks," Kate said, laughing. "But I'm glad you're excited. It is nice to know you'll be part of it with me."

"As long as we're together – I'm willing to do anything this new world brings us." He took Kate's shoulders and looked into her eyes. She felt a surge of warmth rise in her belly and touched her crystal ring, as she often did now to assure herself this was all real.

"When you're both ready," Anya said quietly, "we are gathering in the fields."

Kate and Adam walked to the initiation site, feeling as if they were walking to a holy place. The goddesses were all standing in a circle holding hands. Lhamo, Hume and Virid were there in the circle too. They nodded to Kate as she entered, breaking their hold to allow them to join.

Virid turned to Kate. "Do you by chance have my acorn?" he asked, and she scrabbled in her pocket – she hadn't felt it since her DNA was taken.

But it was there, solid and warm, and she held it up in relief. "Yes."

He gestured to the ground in the center of the circle. "If you could please, plant it here."

She was curious as to why, yet at this point knew better than to question. She squatted and dug a small hole, inserting her acorn and patting the ground tenderly. She rejoined the circle, dusting the dirt from her palms.

Once they joined the circle, the sisters started to hum. At first low and then building to a crescendo, until the stillness of the morning was broken. Each sister broke off into her own rhythm, creating a song from their humming, Virid and Hume providing a deep bass and Nandi and Aurae a high falsetto.