An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 8

After her stressful work day and unusual job interview, Kate headed out to the pool that night to relax. Marcus was not there, but Mrs. Christiansen was, in a long caftan and her lap blanket, her wheelchair parked by the poolside and a pitcher of something exotic looking on the table. She raised a spare glass in greeting.

"Join me in a Tuesday Eve drink? That's how I refer to Mondays in my retirement."

Kate shook her head. "Thanks, but no. I had sort of a crazy day and I think I need a clear head. How long have you been retired?"

Mrs. Christensen shrugged. "Can't really say. What year was the Thong Song released; I remember dancing to it at my retirement party?"

Kate settled into a lounge chair beside her, chuckling. "I'm not sure I remember. What did you do for work?"

"I was a teacher. At an all girls' academy. The Roman and Greek classics."

"Oh – well maybe you can read my lease to me – it appears to be in Latin."

"You don't say? Well – carpe diem, bring it on out and I'll take a look see."

Kate went and retrieved it from her bedroom and Mrs. Christiansen put on a pair of reading glasses with a long pearl chain attached. She studied the scroll for a few moments and moved the glasses to the end of her nose, glancing at Kate.

"Most unusual. You know there's an entire section on accidental death – you see here where it says 'Mortem?'"

Kate blanched and Mrs. Christiansen smiled. "Oh, I wouldn't worry. Just landlord legalize in case of litigious tenants. I mean I hardly think you're going to be a victim of a tsunami in Anya's apartment – that is actually listed in the 'forces of nature' section, along with meteor strikes. The rest is standard fare about the maintenance schedule, trash pickup, noise regulations, pet doody pick-up and the like."

Kate nodded. "Is there anything in there on rent price being raised, or the length of the lease?"

The lady unfurled the last bit of the scroll.

"No. Wait – it says tenant shall remain until the next Spring Equinox and then terms will be renegotiated. As for price – it only says that the agreed upon 'grocery list' will be collected monthly."

"Grocery list? Wait, she did leave a weird list of stuff for Anya to buy. Well, I guess I'll talk about all this with her when she gets back. Thank you, Mrs. C."

"Don't mention it. Now, you do me a favor – a 'quid pro quo.' Go fetch my handbag from my flat – it's right there on the far left – door's always open. It's on the red divan. I'm fancying ordering a pizza tonight. Care to join me?"

Kate nodded and walked to the apartment and in through the patio door. When she stepped through, she stopped and gasped. The inside was stunning – enormous with high ceilings, columned arches and the décor appearing to be entirely in ancient Roman. In the center of the room was a pool, with a fountain spurting in the center. Low dining couches lined the walls with hanging oil lamps, intricately carved screens and tall palms. Marble sculptures sat in recessed nooks and the entire walls were covered in painted murals. Kate stood amazed, taking it all in, until she saw the red divan with the rather ordinary handbag resting on it. She picked it up and scurried back to the poolside.

"Mrs. Christiansen – your home is – is amazing." Kate handed her the handbag. "You have a pool in your living room."

"Thank you my dear. It is cozy. A bit of a downsize for me I'm afraid, but I am retired after all."

She ordered a large pepperoni and pineapple and Kate relayed her work woes and love losses as they downed slice after slice.

"But Adam is different, I just know it. He texts me good morning and good night every day. We're going out for dinner on Friday,"