An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 4

Kate was left standing with her lease in one hand and the landlady's list in the other. She looked at it. It was grocery items: Quail eggs. Cream. Ikarian Honey. Palmyran Almonds. Lemon. Poppyseed. Komodo Cinnamon. Bit fancy – she must shop at the uptown markets. Kate walked into the kitchen and stuck it to the fridge with a magnet. She brewed herself a cup of coffee and plopped down on the couch. It looked like a beautiful day, and she thought she'd try out the pool. After another cup she donned her new swimsuit – a tribal print that she also wouldn't have worn a week ago – adorned with a long airy wrap in a matching fabric and shot through with gold threads. To finish the ensemble – a huge straw hat and Jacki O. sunglasses. 

She walked to the pool feeling like a million dollars. As she strode in the few residents at the poolside, mostly elderly, turned to watch her. She positioned herself in the shade – she burned at the slightest exposure – and took out a large hardback book she had found in the apartment, someone's biography. A few minutes in and a shadow fell over her chair.

"I see you're reading my book. Enjoying it?" Kate looked up to see an elderly man in a white robe.

"Excuse me?"

"My book – I wrote it. I am M.M. McGovern. At your service." He bowed slightly.

"Oh – I had no idea. Oh yes, I recognize your photo. Pleasure to meet you." Kate sat up a bit. "I just moved in with Anya. Do you know her?"

M.M. McGovern chortled. "Oh, I know Anya, we all do here. We're all very old friends. Why don't you join us for lunch – we're barbecuing on the grill. I'm making drinks." He gestured over to the edge of the pool where there was a picnic area. A few tenants gathered there and waved back at him. Kate moved to join them, smelling a delicious lamb on the grill. This was certainly a friendly bunch, she thought, feeling a warm touch of camaraderie.

A motley band sat around the grill area where shish kebab perfumed the air and ears of corn roasted. M.M. McGovern or Marcus, as he insisted she call him, seemed to be the leader with the second in command being an elderly woman in a wheelchair, wearing a bikini top, an enormous shell necklace, and a blanket over her lap. "I get chills even out in the sun dear," she explained.

They were mixing up drinks in margarita glasses of a milky white libation and happily shared one with Kate. She supped and sipped and listened to stories of their travels and summer loves, and Mrs. Christenson – or Mrs. C. – in the wheelchair, had some particularly licentious memories. Marcus ran an import/export business and traveled regularly. When he heard Kate was in marketing, he immediately handed her a business card.

"I am always looking for new talent," he said with a wink. The afternoon was growing hotter. Kate shrugged off her wrap and headed for the pool.

"Oh! Dear!" Mrs. C grabbed her arm as she walked by her chair. "We don't – go into the pool..." A titter went up from the tenants, nodding in agreement. Kate looked over at the still water in confusion. She imagined she saw a small ripple stir the surface.

"What do you mean, you don't go in? Is there something wrong with it?"

Marcus went over and kicked a small splash into the water's edge. "Of course, you may go in – for, a few minutes. A few minutes," he said again loudly. "Um – we've had some problems with the pH levels – might not be a good idea to stay in for too long. HOA is looking into it."

Kate tentatively stepped into the shallow end while the tenants stood watching, their arms crossed and brows furrowed. She thought she saw the ripple moving to the deep end and form into a whirlpool. She did a couple of laps crossways across the pool and hung onto one edge, the cool water enveloping her deliciously. The drink had affected her a bit and she felt a slight euphoria. What a week it had been! It felt like anything could happen now. She heard a slap-slapping of water near her. Mrs. C gasped and Marcus moved to her side.