An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 13

Adam reached the front door, cracking it tentatively. Outside the wind had whipped up into a frenzy. Before he could look out, the door violently banged inward and he was thrown backward.

"What the –" he stumbled and recovered himself. "Who the hell are you?"

In the foyer sat a frail old woman in a wheelchair. Her hair swept around wildly and she had a crocheted afghan on her legs.

"I'm your bodyguard Romeo. You can call me Mrs. C. Where's Kate?"

Adam looked torn. Was this little old lady an intruder or a friend?

"I – don't know. I woke up and she was gone. Then all this weird stuff started happening."

"What weird stuff exactly? I sensed the presence of some – old adversaries."

"Just the – wind is howling and it got really cold. I thought I saw a face in the dryer. Ok, now I just sound nuts. Are you Kate's neighbor? She talked about you."

"That's me. Ok, I'm going to need you to go to the bedroom and stay in there."

Adam frowned. "I'm not leaving you alone. You're an ol – a senior citizen. If someone IS trying to get inside the house –"

"They are already inside." Mrs. C looked at him sharply. "I'm much hardier than I appear, I assure you. Come here." She wheeled over to the couch and Adam followed her. "Come close," she said, gesturing for him to lean in so she could whisper to him. As he did, she reached up and pinched him on the side of his neck. Adam immediately fell unconscious to the couch. She left him there, and wheeled to the laundry room.

"Sounds like a standard issue dryer djinn," She murmured, reaching for the handle. "Akhraj! Time to scram!"

***

Kate ran through the meadow, the blossoms from her necklaces and crown falling behind her. Cassie followed at a trot.

"I have to get back home. Adam is in danger!" Kate called breathlessly.

Cassie touched her shoulder as they slowed. "He will be protected. Anya has a network of colleagues."

"Get me the hell back home!" Kate glared dangerously. Cassie nodded and the spice door outline appeared before them. Kate stepped through.

She ran through the kitchen, now wearing her bathrobe again and not her goddess gown. Adam was asleep on the couch and she saw what looked like lightning coming from the laundry room. She ran to Adam, crouching beside him. She shook him awake.

"Adam! Are you ok?"

He blinked. "Kate? Where were you? There was an – old lady. I – saw a weird face in the dryer. The wind was insane..."

Kate rubbed his head. "Shhh. It's ok baby. I'm back. It's all fine now."

She turned suddenly as she heard a squeaking – Mrs. Christiansen was turning the corner from the laundry room.

"Katherine! Thank the Goddess you're back. We're having quite the adventure here."

In her hands she held the remains of a white shirt, torn to shreds.

"Mrs. C? What's going on?"

Mrs. Christensen wheeled over to Kate and patted her arm. "Never you mind my dear – everything is right as rain. Your young man must have fainted."

"I – did not – faint!" Adam sat bolt upright. "I don't know what's going on, but this woman is not an old woman – ok that sounds crazy – she is not what she seems."

Kate composed herself. "Mrs. C, thank you for coming over. Really. Please let me walk you home." She wheeled the lady outside and down the brick path. "What happened here today? Tell me please."