An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 27

Kate woke up, hung over from too much ouzo. A soft knock on the door brought her to find Gaia and Nandi waiting outside, a wheelchair ready for Adam's return. As they wove a charm of sleep on him and then wheeled him out, Stavros trotted by.

"Goodbye young human goddess! You will come back when this young man marries you, yes?"

Kate laughed and waved and they made their way down the narrow lane, the wheelchair bumping over the cobblestones. The spice door appeared in a sunny yellow wall, where a cat had been lounging on a ledge and sprang away with a yowl.

Inside the kitchen, Adam roused and they made their goodbyes.

"I can't believe you have to leave so soon," he said, hugging Kate tightly. "It gets harder every time I have to say goodbye."

"It will go quickly, you'll see," she said, kissing him. "Hey – I love you."

"I love you too Kate, "Adam said softly. "Come back to me soon, ok?"

They parted and Kate flopped into a chair, staring at the ceiling. This was getting too hard. The spice door opened, and Anya stepped through alone.

"Hey roomie," she said. "How're you holding up?"

"Not exactly sure, to be honest," Kate said. "You know – none of this was in the brochure when you offered me the apartment."

"Yeah, I know. Nice job paying the rent, by the way. The last time I was late with Hera I was doing my laundry in a coin laundromat for weeks."

She came over to the couch and sat. "So, do you want to talk about it?"

"It's just – I'm feeling overwhelmed. You know? At first, I loved the training. But it's hard being away from home. I'm just starting to have a real relationship with Adam – the most serious one I've had in years – and now, I've got to leave again."

"Are you having second thoughts about becoming a goddess?"

"I'm not sure. I want to be one of you – how could I turn that down? And of course, I plan to help with the ceremony, no matter what. But, to dedicate the rest of my life to this – to give up – humanity?" Kate averted her eyes, which were tearing up.

Anya nodded. "It is a heavy choice. And not one you need to make right now. You haven't been through your full training after all. You will study Earth elements with Kitsune and Maeve, and then you will study with me. We still have a few things to show you that may sway your decision."

Kate nodded. "I'm glad to see you again. I'm glad you're okay."

"And I, you. Hey – you know what I could go for right now? Chinese food. Let's call Wong Di!"

An hour later they were stuffed and lying on the couch.

'You know what I really wonder?" Kate poured a glass of wine that Anya had chosen. "Why me? Why did you pick me? Or did you pick me? Maybe it was a lottery or something..."

Anya sipped her wine. "When you were fourteen, your father left. You spent a lot of time alone."

Kate's eyes widened. "How did you – oh, of course. Yes, I did. I went through a tough time. I gained weight, I was self-conscious about it and stayed home a lot, in my room."

"You called me. You called us."

"I – what? What are you talking about?"

"You sent us a prayer. We can hear prayers you know."

"I don't know what you mean. I don't remember?"

"Let me show you." Anysa swept her arm over the room, and it instantly transformed. Suddenly it was a bedroom, with a white wicker bed and patchwork quilt, bean bag chairs and a tapestry of a tree hanging on the wall beside a poster of One Direction. Kate sprang to her feet.