An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 11

"We are Goddesses, yes, as you would know us on Earth," Dona said. "Technically, we are Elementals. Goddesses who are empowered by an element of the Earth. We draw our strength from nature. You will be one of us, in time, if this is what you choose. You do have free will in the matter, however."

Cassie came forward. She smiled reassuringly, offering her hand and lifting Kate up to stand with her.

"I am a Naiad, as is Anya. We are water spirits, elevated into Elementals by the grace of the higher Gods." She held out her cupped hands and water filled them to overflowing. She lifted her palms to Kate's mouth, and Kate eagerly bent forward to drink, suddenly parched with thirst. The water was the purest she had tasted, as from a virgin mountain stream.

Maeve and Kitsuni stepped forward next. "We are Dryads," Maeve said. "Spirits of the forest, elevated to Elementals. We live in the trees and grasses and mountains." Kitsuni held out her delicate hand and a circlet of cornflowers and clover grew from her fingers, braiding together into a wreath. She bowed gently and lifted it to Kate's head to join the ivy there, where it lay like a crown.

"We are Slyphs, Elemental spirits of the air," Aurae, the Persian sister stepped forward along with Nandi. Aurae gestured over Kate's head and a breeze cropped up, cooling her brow and blowing her hair until it was windswept, then braiding it into a long plait. A fragrance of jasmine filled her nostrils and perfumed her breast.

"And we are the Salamandrina," said Dona, touching Gaia's shoulder. "Spirits of fire. Equal parts creation and destruction." She held out her hand and a sizzling flame flashed briefly in her palm. She reached out to touch Kate's arm and a spicy flush of energy filled her body, leaving her invigorated.

Kate looked at the circle of women surrounding her. "I'm sorry – how is this possible? If it's really not a dream. I am not a Goddess, I assure you."

"Aren't you though?" Aurae touched Kate's shoulder and they both lifted into the air a few feet, hovering above the others. 

"Do you not feel the call of the ancients? Do you not look into the night sky and know it is your home? Do you not yearn for wildness, for the winds to wake you, the waters to purify you, the earth to heal you, the sun to envelope you? Sister – I know you do. Tell me you do not feel your own powers, you have not always known that you were meant for more than this Earth."

Kate felt stunned. "Well, when you put it that way – I guess I have always wanted something more, yes. Yes. But who hasn't?"

Aurae laughed, a musical lilting titter. "Oh, you'd be surprised how many have not. How many never lift their eyes to the stars to question. And to dream."

They both floated back down.

Gaia looked around the circle. "It is time to begin. Summer Solstice is upon us – let us move to the labyrinth." She gestured to the stone circle they had constructed earlier.

"But – without Anya – how can we? The stone, the formula?" Cassie looked around, the other sisters nodding.

"We will complete the ceremony at the Fall Equinox, which was always the intended cycle. We will have much to accomplish by then," Gaia said.

"So much for my summer plans," Cassie pouted, flipping her blonde curls over a shoulder.

Gaia frowned at her. "Tonight, we begin by laying the foundation and we must not delay, for we are losing sunlight," she said, gesturing to the sky, where the sun hung low. Everyone moved to the labyrinth and walked single file along its course, forming a circle when they reached its center. They all reached out to hold hands and placed Kate at their center. She stood awkwardly; she was feeling conspicuously the center of attention and looked at Gaia nervously.