An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 12

The Goddesses gathered around the bonfire that Dona had lit, singing and dancing. They held hands and tossed bunches of holly and herbs into the fire. Maeve shot arrow after arrow into the twilight sky playfully, trying to hit the moon. They heard a strain of music coming from a distance, and saw bright dots of dancing lights approaching. The gap in the trees at the edge of the forest was suddenly full with motion.

"Our guests are here!" Cassie called, cartwheeling over to greet them. Across the meadow crossed a menagerie of revelers, with nymphs and sprites, satyrs and centaurs. From giant to diminutive, citizens in every shape and color and sex came dressed gaily in every rainbow color, playing instruments, whirling ribbons, juggling balls and holding candles, torches and sparklers that lit up the night merrily. A creature with enormous butterfly wings swept by Kate, followed by a man with a peacock's outspread tail and a girl with antlers springing from her head and a doe's delicate spray of freckles.

"The virgins have brought cake – they're such good bakers. All that pent up frustration turned into confection," Cassie said, pulling Kate to a group of white-clad girls holding plates of golden, sweet spice cakes aglow with honey.

"Our gift from Vesta," they bowed and offered their wares, then joined the throng.

"Don't eat too many – they're a bit of an aphrodisiac. Some culinary projection happening," said Cassie. She led Kate by the hand through the overwhelming crowd, making introductions and slipping in gossip.

"So nice to see you again," she called to the peacock man, who immediately fanned out his tail. "Such a preener," she whispered to Kate.

"Cassandra – darling – how are you my girl?" The butterfly woman air kissed Cassie on both cheeks. "Tell me – how am I looking? Are my wings fresh?" She flapped a few times.

"Stunning as always, Rhopa," Cassie said, blowing her a kiss.

"You know butterflies can't see their own wings. Isn't that a shame? So pretty and they don't even know it. Humans can be much the same," Cassie said to Kate, then her attention was diverted yet again. "Oh, let's go – fire dancers!"

Kate drew apart from her in a bit and wandered through the fête, taking in all the wonders of the Solstice celebration until she grew tired. She found herself sitting on a flower bedecked swing under a birch tree, watching the festivities from afar and swaying gently. The enormity of the day was weighing upon her. This was definitely not a dream. What was happening? She was supposed to believe that she, Katherine McKinnon, was a goddess? The same Katherine McKinnon that had stumbled her way through adolescence, spent every Saturday night as a teenager alone with a pint of ice cream, and most of her college weekends holed up in the library. It was too surreal.

"You know, all this pomp is not what Solstice is really all about."

Kate jumped as she realized she was not alone. A man stood by her who she had for all the world assumed was a tree – he looked covered in bark, with deep craggy cheeks and long, twiggy fingers. His hair was a mullet of leaves.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean to alarm." The man looked sheepishly at Kate, and she surprisingly did not feel afraid.

"No – no – I'm not – it's fine. I just didn't see you there. It's a bit much for me tonight, and I was trying to hide back here." Kate had dug her toes into the ground to stop her swinging, and she was frozen in a ballerina's en pointe stance. She relaxed, letting her feet rest solidly.

"As I was saying – all this bacchanalian behavior is not the true Solstice. It is a sacred night. Meant to be spent in quiet contemplation."

"Well then, why are you out tonight?" Kate smiled nervously as the bark-man's face cracked in laughter.