An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 25

Back at the liminal fields, Lhamo finished his ambrosia. "Whew! I don't normally drink alcohol often, but this is smooth... better than the whiskey."

The rest of the sisters were gathered there for their reunion. They all embraced.

"We were so concerned for you," Aurae took Anya's hands. "When I saw your message on my sword – I was astonished! I knew you were in dire need."

"And I knew you would send for my rescue," Anya said.

After recounting their experiences, they plotted their next course of action.

"You know," said Lhamo, pouring himself another generous glass of ambrosia, "I think we can all take a point from the young couple. We should take a vacation too." Cassie clapped in excitement.

Anya looked at him askew. "What – are you mad? We don't have time to vacation. We have much work yet to do."

"We have been going non-stop for months. And I began this journey in prison. We all deserve a break. It will refresh our bodies and our minds. And we may find that once we rest, we discover the answers we seek."

The other sisters considered and nodded, and Gaia smiled. "Wise words. I agree." Nandi also concurred.

Anya sighed. "Oh, I suppose we can also take a few days off."

Lhamo clapped his hands along with Cassie. "Where shall we go?!"

"An Air BNB? Aurae said. "We could stay in a nest."

"Oh – the volcano in Iceland is erupting!" Dona chimed in. "So cozy."

"There's a tsunami forming in Australia currently," said Cassie. "It would be awesome to go surf it..."

"None of these things seems relaxing to me," Lhamo said, frowning.

"I know what you need old man," Anya said. "A good old fashioned tropical holiday. In Bali."

Lhamo nodded. "I'm listening..."

"I'll show you instead. Come."

The group of goddesses followed Anya into the wooded path. As soon as they entered, the scene changed to a sandy road bordered by palm trees and letting out into a wide avenue leading down to the sea. A series of thatched roof buildings made up the resort they were visiting, and an attendant ushered them into a small motorboat that taxied them out into the azure waters and to their individual huts. Each hut sat on tall stilts in the sea, each an oasis with a comfortable interior and a deck with a hammock that dipped down into the balmy waters. They all disembarked at the first hut, where Lhamo went immediately to lay blissfully in the hammock. The water lapped gently over him.

"Yes. This is what I call a relaxing vacation. I would like one of those drinks with an umbrella. And later – a foot massage."

The rest of the sisters chose their own hut and spent the rest of the day in their respective hammocks. The next day found all of the goddesses in their respective happy places. Dona and Gaia were off exploring Batur, Bali's most active volcano. Maeve and Kitsune had gone to the Ubud Forest, known for the wild macaques who roamed through the ancient temples there. Aurae and Nandi were overtop a jungle in an adventure park, swinging in two enormous swings that looked to be borrowed from a romance novel.

"These swings are supposed to be the best of the Instagrammable tourist spots in Bali," Aurae noted, taking a selfie while Nandi flew higher on her swing.

Anya and Cassie had spent the morning on a rice paddy walk, following the narrow paths through the brilliantly green terraces of tender rice shoots in the flooded fields. They paid a farmer's child to lead them to the most hidden waterfall she knew of, and they relaxed in the deep pool beneath its gushing falls. Alone, they transformed to their naiad bodies and swam happily, darting beneath the deluge and coming to rest on the rocks behind the falls.