An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 41

The Elementals left the liminal fields through a Southerly exit and Lhamo beckoned to Kate. "Let's go for another spin. Slower this time, I swear! Those sirens are not the type of Sirens I am accustomed to dealing with."

They got back in the car and Lhamo started back on the road that had brought them there. But it did not take them back to the highway – they were now on a country road, pleasantly cruising through farmlands and rolling hills.

"Do you think they'll find Keiko – er – the wind goddess?" Kate asked.

"Lhamo sighed. "I hope, yet also fear so. She is more powerful than we believed."

"Why would she want to create the rift?"

"I do not know. She is a creature of chaos."

"Will she be able to stop the ceremony?"

"We have a pretty impressive group of goddesses to go up against her. And you."

"Me? I have no power?"

"Do you not?" Lhamo took his hands off the wheel. The car immediately started veering towards the ditch.

"Lhamo!" Kate screamed and reached over, recovering the wheel and straightening the car. She downshifted and the car slowed.

Lhamo laughed. "You see – you stay in control. You are calm. That is power."

They drove uneventfully then, Kate enjoying the warm breeze and the sun on her face, the feel of freedom as they sped along. After a time, the sound of hoofbeats came behind them, then a horse's snuffling and the rustling of reins.

Kate looked over to see a golden chariot, ornately carved and pulled by four black stallions. The driver was a striking young man, blond curls bursting out from beneath his helmet, and a dazzling smile that he shot their way.

"Lhamo!" he called over jovially.

Lhamo tipped his hat in greeting. "Apollo! Why are you not in the sky?"

"Hours until sunset," he said. "Just enjoying a country ride as are you. Care to spice things up?"

"You only have four horses," Lhamo said. "While I have over 300 horsepower."

"But my horses are celestial. And of course there is the driver's skill." He grinned even wider.

"Oh, you are so on." Lhamo planted his cap more firmly on his head and looked ahead sternly, gunning the engine and smoothly upshifting. They pulled ahead.

With a crack of his whip, Apollo was at their side. Kate peeked over and saw the lead horses – nostrils flared, teeth bared, eyes rolled back, their black backs ripped with taut muscles. She couldn't see their hooves touch the ground. Apollo had pulled a visor down over his helmet and the spartan mask hid his face. Lhamo had no facial expression – just concentration, his hands tightly gripping the wheel with the occasional smooth gesture to downshift around corners on the country road. Kate gripped her seat tightly.

They stayed even, sometimes Lhamo pulling ahead, sometimes Apollo. A steep curve was in view and Lhamo slowed; he was on the inside and Apollo pulled in front. Then suddenly around the curve appeared a farm cart, pulled by a donkey and filled to the top with cantaloupes. Lhamo braked, pulling right and skidding into a field, spinning in circles until they were stopped by the rows of corn ahead. Apollo had taken off in flight as soon as he spotted the cart and was circling overhead. The cart had bumped off the road in reaction and its contents spilled all over the ditch. The driver stood in anger, yelling curses and shaking his fist.

Lmao put the car back in gear. "You okay?" he asked Kate and at her nod, he pulled back onto the road to the toppled cart's side. They helped the driver right the wagon and loaded back the cantaloupes that were unbroken. Apollo flew back overhead and dipped low.