An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 21

Gaia and Nandi entered the city of Nara, dressed as peasants. They looked decidedly un-goddess like in their straw hats and rough shawls. The guards regarded them with dismissal.

"Why are you crones not at home with your sons?"

Gaia bowed in supplication. "With your leave, kind sir. We are looking for the Governor's address. We are servants on our way to take up our posts in his honorable household."

The guards frowned, but gave them directions for this auspicious destination. They arrived to find the household preparing for the dogwood blossom viewing. Acting as maids, they entered the home of Governor Otomo and proceeded to track down their sister in the gardens after the household had retired for the night.

Anya and Lhamo sat in the Zen garden. They were part of the household now – Anya was a music tutor to Governor Otomo's son and a companion to his wife. Lhamo was an instructor in Buddhism, which the governor was converting to, and contributed poetry to the household gatherings.

"I have a new haiku for our next viewing party. I believe it will be for dogwood blossoms?" Lhamo closed his eyes to begin reciting. Before he could start, Anya waved her hand impatiently.

"Not now old man. I've had enough poetry. And enough viewing parties. Plum blossom, cherry blossom, pear blossom. I'm being driven mad! Always the same tiresome guests. And you seem more interested in writing poetry than in figuring out how we get out of here? My powers have faded, all we have left is the sword."

After the wind goddess Tatsuta-Hine, or Keiko, had cursed them and stolen the formula, Anya and Lhamo had confided in Lady Otomo who they were. She accepted them into the household and kept the affair from her husband, feeling it best to keep their secret. Anya and she had become fast friends and Lhamo enjoyed working on equations with her, as well as reciting poetry. The two of them could still not remember a bit of the formula, and Anya had felt her powers weakening, unable to return them to their time. Keiko showed no signs of returning. A few days had passed when Anya was exploring the Governor's art collection and once again saw the sword. Lhamo joined her as she stood gazing at it.

"It is a beautifully crafted weapon," he said. "Yet, I have always believed the old adage that the pen is mightier than the sword. With the pen you touch people with your message – much better than killing them."

Anya had a faraway look.

"A message. If I could get a message back to our time – to my sisters. Lhamo – that is it!"

Lhamo looked in amazement as Anya picked up the sword, holding it in her lap as she used the last of her strength to engrave letters into the length of the blade.

"What is it that you carve?"

"A message. For Aurae. She'll see it the next time she visits this sword, in our time. It is written in our Elemental language – dead now to all but us. I have asked for her help – to send Gaia and Nandi to us. They will have their full powers here. Nandi is a master Air Elemental, and Gaia is simply a master. Tatsuta-Hine will be no match for them."

Anya placed the sword back in its rack, where it blended behind the more ornate weapons. Lhamo furrowed his brow.

"Why does this sword end up in the Elemental museum? It must have some powers. Yet it seems quite unremarkable."

Anya had shrugged. "That I do not know. Yet Aurae always said it was special."

***

In the garden weeks later, Lhamo cleared his throat. "My new haiku – "

Anya jumped up from their bench. "I do not want to hear it! I grow more restless each day."

Lhamo put his hand on her arm. "It is true, I am rather enjoying our time here. I have the opportunity to study ancient ways, and the beginnings of my religion. And I am becoming somewhat of a gardener."

An Unearthing of GoddessesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara