Y2V2: The Discovery Process

Normally, I'd be awake at 8 a.m. and get through the morning in 30 minutes, arriving at the class a few minutes before the bell. During exams, I'd be there a little earlier, but that's the general routine I have.

"Kiyotaka... I know how this sounds, but if you didn't cheat... When did you get so smart?" Keisei asked me as he shifted in his seat nervously.

Taking a sip of the coffee I ordered, I looked back at Keisei.

I could have had Horikita make up an excuse for me. Something along the lines of 'Keeping me as a trump card', but I get the feeling Keisei wouldn't trust it. Not entirely, at least.

"I was homeschooled my entire life. It was, well, pretty rigorous and far above the level of a person my age should have learned," I began.

Keisei nodded understandingly. Of course, there's not exactly a small number of people who go through rigorous homeschooling.

"That's, like, university level..." Keisei muttered in awe, but his eyes softened, gleaming with sympathy, "Yeah, it must've been tough, huh? But, why didn't you just try when you came here?"

He couldn't even look me in the eye as he asked that question.

"I just didn't feel like it," I shrugged, "I was content with being average. I'm sorry if I was, you know, wasting your time tutoring me."

Keisei eyed me skeptically, but he didn't press my desire to be kept average.

"I mean, I'd be a pretty big asshole if I lashed out at you for that. But, if I'm honest, I was annoyed for a little bit. I guess I felt like I was being lied to for a while. Seeing you expelled kinda stopped that," Keisei said candidly, "I'd rather you stay here and waste my time than leaving."

It's a common phenomenon in people. Things that are in their lives that are so common they can't imagine them being... gone. And once these items, people, and habits do leave them, there's a sudden change in their worldview. The old adage of not knowing what you have until it's gone is proof of this.

"Thanks, Keisei," I told him.

"O-oh, uh, sure thing?" Keisei replied awkwardly, he began to scratch the nape of his neck in embarrassment.

8:35 p.m. I guess we should go now.

* * *

Walking into class, every single person's eyes were on me. It was so silent it was suffocating, but I guess I couldn't do anything about it. Like lasers honed in on me, their retinas moved as I did. As I approached my seat, I couldn't help but hold my breath.

"Everyone, I'm sure you've all heard, Ayanokouji's expulsion is postponed until after the 12th," Chabashira declared as she strode into the classroom.

Horikita raised her hand.

"Yes, Horikita?"

"Sensei, how many points will we lose in the case he is indeed expelled?" she asked.

Expulsions equal a loss of class points. It's known to every person in the second-year. It was a pragmatic thing to ask, and the class listened on eagerly.

Chabashira sighed, placing her hands on each side of the podium, her brown eyes facing my direction.

"150 class points would be lost in that case," Chabashira answered apathetically.

We're already behind by over 200 points between us and Ichinose's class, let alone A, this would essentially kill our goals for the top.

"Moving on from that, your new timetables for the rest of the year will be sent to you shortly. All the teachers for the new electives are newly appointed, so if they're having trouble getting around, please help them. That will be all. At 9:00, you all should head to your classes," she informed.