Y2V4 Epilogue: David and Goliath

It was as if time had stood still.

Every instant was an eternity and an eternity instantaneous.

I had used everything to my full ability. My stamina, my allies, my information network... And I had won.

A difference of 18 points had granted me victory.

The scar that was present on my name since the end of the Partner Exam had now faded into obscurity.

"Feel free to enjoy the rest of your summer vacation. That is all."

With that, the ramp for the ship came down, leading students to the ship of luxury.

The students of class D seemed to surround me, smiles present on their faces.

"Ayanokouji, you're insane!"

"Nice job, dude!"

I tried to say 'thank you' to each one of them, but it felt like the congratulations just kept coming one after another. I was being bombarded with praise and gratitude. It was odd, but not a bad feeling.

Slowly, the numbers dwindled down as the students began to board the ship.

I took a look around for Koenji, but he was nowhere to be found. It seems like he made his way towards the ship nearly instantly.

"Kiyopon!"

Haruka looked as if she could squeal, the rest of the Ayanokouji Group soon followed.

"Nice job, Kiyotaka," Akito praised, "You still suck at juggling, though."

"Well, that's nice to know."

"Hmm, I can remind you whenever I want. Nah, but seriously, you're insane."

Airi nodded, "Kiyotaka, you're like a machine... I was so tired after the 4th day and you were in 10th."

I could tell. She didn't seem to be sleeping well, and her clothes were all muddy. In contrast, though, Keisei could be a picture-perfect example of good hygiene.

"Not to brag or anything, but..." Keisei began.

"Nerd."

Akito nodded, "Were you going to talk about your calculations?"

Keisei looked slightly embarrassed, "No..."

Suzune watched the banter go on without saying a word.

"Hmm, what are you going to do about Koenji?" I asked her.

Suzune crossed her arms, mulling over the question, "Hmm, I'll confront him eventually. But we can leave that for today, I'm more interested in getting a shower..."

Haruka nodded, "I know, right? I haven't had a shower for so many days! Stupid exam and its stupid starting point."

I looked over at Yagami, who had stood still ever since the results were announced, frozen in motion. Suzune had followed my line of sight.

"Hmm, seems he's disappointed. Everybody would be in his spot, I suppose."

That's true, but it's different for him. It isn't just simple disappointment.

Moving away from the Ayanokouji Group, I made my way over to him. He couldn't even put his eyes on me, his gaze fixed on the grains of sand underneath him.

"I'd like it we talked later. Perhaps in 2 hours, on the back of the 5th floor."

Giving him time to collect his thoughts was needed.

"Sure," he spoke flatly.

I left him to his thoughts. I was going to hear them soon enough, anyway.

However, who I found approaching me was Nagumo Miyabi, the man who got 3rd place.