Y2V4: The Trials of the Island

6:30 a.m.

The harsh sunlight was beating on my tent, it could've practically burned a hole through it. I had breakfast which was just some canned goods, alongside some water and I finished getting ready by 6:55.

After all, today, there would be 4 areas, including a randomly assigned one. The real exam is just beginning from today onwards. Yesterday was, at most, a trial, dipping your feet in to feel out the exam.

"E8."

It was so close to me that I ended up abandoning packing up my gear to dash there.

I entered the area, a buzz on my watch as I did so. That's 10 points, huh? It's a pretty good st...

Wait.

"5 points for you, eh, Ayanokouji-senpai? Unfortunately, it seems like we had similar ideas."

The boy in front of me was Yagami, walking up to me with a slight smile. I guess he was just a little closer than I was. The difference could've only been a few seconds, but that's the difference between 5 points and 10. Now I'm at 16, which isn't a terrible start.

"I guess I'm just unlucky. How are you doing so far?" I asked him.

Yagami began to stretch lightly, "Alright, alright. I got an Early Bird yesterday and a few tasks yesterday, so I'm doing pretty good. This thing is just getting started."

How confident.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Nanase approaching us.

"Nice to see you again, Ayanokouji-senpai, Yagami," she greeted.

"It looks like we may have the same table, Nanase. Where was your first area yesterday?" I asked out of curiosity.

I didn't notice Nanase when I reached D7 yesterday, but then again, I wasn't there for long.

"D7," she answered.

I guess it's inevitable. 12 tables and hundreds of students, someone is going to be on the same path as you.

"I'm off to do some tasks, good luck, senpai," Yagami said politely, walking away.

I decided to go back and pick up the items I had abandoned, but oddly, Nanase was following me. I didn't say anything, picking up my items and getting ready to move out like Yagami did before.

"Um, Ayanokouji-senpai, I have a request," Nanase muttered softly.

"What is it? If it's doable, I'll try."

Nanase nodded, "You see, I think I might end up struggling to go on halfway through the exam. I think if I had a partner who would help me along the way, I could stop that."

Physical stamina will eventually be at an all-time low, it was a pragmatic thing to ask. One issue though.

"But why me?"

That was the thing I didn't fully understand. Nanase would probably have no trouble finding someone else to partner with her. There must even be someone in her class who walks the same route.

"Your physical ability is at a B-. Also, you and I are on the same table. I think you're a competent person, senpai, that's why I think it would be good for both of us to partner up together," she explained with a blank expression.

It's fair reasoning. I had a few extenuating circumstances, though.

"You can take all Early Bird bonuses, all tasks we encounter can be yours. We can also share food and other resources. I think it's beneficial for both of us."