Chapter 8

Danny drove at a snail's pace, and it dawned on me that it might be the first time I truly missed Cole. Unbelievable, I never imagined having such a thought. The day, however, seemed to be brimming with unexpected surprises.

Hurrying out of the car, I was eager to join the other girls, realizing I still needed to don my cheer uniform. The excitement was palpable as I wondered if the hours of training would prove worthwhile. The gymnastics club, on the other hand, presented a more challenging endeavor.

In my full cheerleading gear with yellow and red pom-poms, I found myself amid the lively scene. Janet and Olivia laughed together, seemingly friendly, but I suspected a romantic undercurrent. Figuring out my feelings for Isaac wasn't as simple.

Walking to our spot, I couldn't help scanning for Isaac's dark hair and leather jacket in the crowd. Confused by my own emotions, I wondered, "What is happening to me?"

Anna's enthusiastic shout, "JANET! Y/N!! WOHOOOO!" caught my attention. I greeted her, and next to her, Lee, surprisingly with a big smile, had his arm around her. Reluctant to glance further and face Isaac, I managed to look away, heart pounding.

The game kicked off, the big horns on the brink of winning. Cheering had become my newfound passion. The dance moves and tumbling sequences were a hit.

During a jump, I locked eyes with Isaac. Despite the distance, his cologne seemed to linger. Was it just my senses playing tricks? His surprised look and thumbs-up added an awkward yet cute twist. As frenemies, I couldn't wait to tease him about it later – our friendly competition agreement still intact.

Breaking the gaze, the next song, Camila Cabello's "My Oh My," set the rhythm for the unfolding spectacle, adding a fresh layer to the vibrant atmosphere.

The game surprisingly went well, even without Cole playing. I never really got into cheering before, but thanks to New York, there's never been the space or occasion for it, except maybe during the annual Super Bowl.

Walking with Janet in search of Anna, Lee, and inevitably Isaac, I found myself heading straight for him. It's not like I hate him anymore, but diving into my feelings, as Jackie suggested, makes me nervous. Let's call it advice, not coercion, for my own peace of mind.

Spotting Anna, Janet pulled me through the crowd, deeming me less round than she thought. Anna greeted us with a proud shout, "There are my pro cheerleaders," steering the conversation towards the big horns' victory and our cheerleading skills, causing Lee to nearly spit out his coke.

Amidst the chatter, my attention wavered because of Isaac beside me. Turning my head, I caught him staring at another cheerleader. Hope dwindled. I sighed quietly, unnoticed. Isaac glanced at me before shifting his gaze back to her. Insecurity crept in – New York me would have easily wrapped him around my finger. But this is Isaac.

A shiver ran down my spine, convincing myself it was just the thought of flirting with him. Yet, deep down, I knew it was the unsettling awareness of his many cheerleader involvements. Whether it's a boys' inside joke or something more, his undeniable good looks and playboy demeanor fuel my apprehension. And though I'd never admit it to him, I fear it's not just a joke.

Glancing once more, Isaac's hair was impeccably styled, yet I couldn't help but think I preferred its tousled charm from the mornings.

Isaac's gaze lingered on the cheerleaders, and he casually announced, "I'll catch up with you guys later. Got some important stuff to handle."

Lee shot him a pointed look, "Your loss if you're willing to pass up a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Summoning the best smile I could muster, I tried to be convincing, "This won't be the last huddle you attend, Lee."