Chapter 16

The past week unfolded like a delicate dance of avoidance and uncertainty. I found myself expertly dodging Jackie whenever she attempted to broach the topic of the psychic's revelations. The air between us crackled with unspoken tension, and I opted for the solace of solitude rather than facing the uncomfortable discussions.

Janet and Annie, usually constants in my social orbit, became collateral casualties of this evasion strategy. The mere presence of Isaac and Lee around them made me instinctively veer away, seeking refuge in the company of Jackie, Skylar, and Grace, who seemed blissfully unaware of the undercurrents that had altered the dynamics within our group.

Yet, as the day before Thanksgiving dawned, a sense of inevitability pulled me from the cocoon of avoidance. The upcoming holiday held the promise of familial warmth and togetherness, but the unresolved tensions lingered in the background. Taking a deep breath, I rose to face the day, knowing that the gathering storm of emotions couldn't be evaded forever.

Lost in my thoughts about the approaching Thanksgiving and the lingering tension with Isaac, I barely noticed Mrs. Callum's voice breaking through my reverie.

"Y/N, can you share your thoughts on the historical significance of the Mayflower Compact?" she inquired, her question cutting through the fog of my contemplation.

Startled, I met Mrs. Callum's expectant gaze. Gathering my thoughts, I began to articulate a response, attempting to shift my focus from the tumultuous emotions that had consumed me. However, as I spoke, I felt a subtle shift in the air, and a quick glance around the room revealed Isaac's eyes darting away from mine.

His sudden avoidance didn't go unnoticed, leaving me to wonder if the unresolved issues between us had reached a point where even a simple classroom interaction became tinged with awkwardness.

Midway through my attempt to navigate the Mayflower Compact discussion, Annie, sitting nearby, sensed my distraction. With a subtle but supportive nod, she seamlessly interjected, adding depth to my response and rescuing me from the spotlight of Mrs. Callum's scrutiny.

Annie's intervention acted like a lifeline, easing the pressure of the moment. Grateful for her understanding, I shot her a silent acknowledgment. The unspoken camaraderie between us was a welcome contrast to the strained dynamics with Isaac.

As the lesson continued, Annie's supportive gesture became a small beacon of solace in the midst of the emotional turbulence that had infiltrated my daily life. The subtle assistance offered a glimmer of hope that, despite the lingering tensions, there were still allies to be found within the tangled web of relationships.

Lunchtime arrived, and I found myself seated at a table with Jackie, Skylar, and Grace. The hum of conversation enveloped us, but my attention remained divided between the discussion around me and stolen glances at Isaac, who sat at a nearby table.

As we chatted about various topics, Grace was engrossed in her meal, occasionally contributing to the conversation between bites. Lost in my own thoughts, I absentmindedly stared at my lunch, my mind wandering back to the unresolved issues that lingered between Isaac and me.

Jackie, noticing my distraction, leaned in, her voice cutting through my reverie. "So, Y/N, what's your take on this?" she asked, referencing the topic they had been discussing.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I responded, my mind still preoccupied.

Skylar let out a sigh, exchanging a knowing glance with Jackie. "Y/N, you've been in a daze all day. Maybe it's time to finally do something about it," Skylar advised, her tone gently urging me to confront the lingering tensions.

Grace, looking a bit surprised by the turn of the conversation, paused in her eating to observe the exchange. Jackie nodded in agreement, adding, "Skylar's right. It might be the right time to address whatever's been bothering you."