Stranger Without Desire

The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm, amber glow over the quiet neighborhood. Light sat under the shade of a towering oak tree with Shinoska right by his side. The softness of youth had not yet left them, the young pair comfortable in the familiarity they offered one another. They'd been friends nearly all their life, and though that was not especially long in the grand scheme of things, to them it was everything.

Elsewhere, their parents were catching up over tea. Since the two had finished their studies early, they were allowed to go to the park together. Though neither of them had ever really been the kind of children to climb jungle gyms or run around very much. Or rather, they didn't do so unless it was asked of them by other children.

Despite the innocence of their youth, they'd already become accustomed to the demands and expectations of the world around them. While they were expected to only associate with kids their parents found acceptable while maintaining perfect grades and exemplary behavior, they were also expected to not decline an invitation to play from said kids. To do so was to be rude and they knew that was simply out of the question for them.

It was what their parents expected of them, after all. So they'd accept and carry on with their duties as children worthy of being bragged about.

In Light's case, his parents were very kind and rather loving. His father could be a bit stern, but he never faltered in making sure he took care of his family. And his mother was sweet and caring incarnate, frankly. Still, it couldn't be denied that the supposed ease with which their son achieved greatness only made their expectations grow higher.

For Shinoska, it was different. Of course, from the outside, they were a picturesque family. They were well-off financially and never faltered in giving off well-maintained appearances. And it wasn't as if they were awful, horrible people. Even thinking of considering her parents in such a harsh way made the young girl feel incredibly guilty.

But they were...distant. Shinoska often felt like she was outside, looking in on a family that she struggled to feel connected to.

Even so, she worked hard for their approval and harbored admiration for the duties. Even if she felt lonely, she at least took comfort in believing her parents fought for justice.

But, while Shinoska and Light had their reasons for working hard to excel, be it for their family or otherwise, they two truthfully preferred the quiet spots under trees with soft patches of grass, especially when they were together.

A gentle breeze rustled the leaves overhead.

"My dad helped catch a really bad guy the other day," Light said, breaking the silence.

"Yes, my parents told me. They said lots of people will feel much safer now," Shinoska said as she turned to look at Light.

The boy met her eyes in return, a glint of intensity in his gaze that seemed out of place for a child. "But for how long?"

Shinoska tilted her head, light brown strands of hair falling over her shoulder. "How...long?" A pensive expression fell over her face before she spoke again, "Not that long, I think. He's not the only bad guy, so...More will come."

An enigmatic, yet fond smile played on Light's lips. "That's right, Shinoska. He did a good thing, but I don't think we should celebrate yet."

"Then when should we?" She asked, leaning the side of her head into the crook between her propped-up knees, her arms pulling her legs tightly to her chest.

"When we're all safe. For good," Light replied as he reached out to pull a stray leaf from her hair. It was a simple, yet sweet gesture.

Her round cheeks grew a bit flushed, but she elected to let the moment pass in quiet. As she gathered her words, their shadows grew longer as the sun continued its descent.