Chapter 4

(Unedited)

Two weeks passed and Esme still did not return...

"I don't understand why Mama Esme is still not back. I know it must be hard to think about having a mate given her past but... Ethel's life is at stake now." Ceres mumbled sadly, she was lying on her stomach beside Tulip, and Irene sighed heavily at her words.

"It is not that easy, Ceres. According to the very little Mom has told me about Mama Esme's past — how she was kidnapped from her home, turned without her consent, how her family was murdered, and the way she was imprisoned for over a thousand years before Maman freed her — I am not surprised that she is cautious of giving this mate bond a chance." Irene mumbled softly, running her fingers through Tulip's hair as she slept with her head on her lap, and Ceres sighed sadly; her red eyes glimmering with tears again.

"I guess I can understand that too... Sometimes I get frightened as well." Irene was surprised to find Tulip's eyes opening when Ceres said those words in such a small voice and they both felt her sadness blooming in their chests, she was the youngest of them so they were always the most protective of her.

"Now, what can scare my brave sister?" Tulip's voice was all softness and love when she inquired that, moving so she could lay beside Ceres, and Irene smiled as she followed suit, watching the redhead with gentle blue eyes.

"The mate bond and how strong it makes me feel-- I mean, I am all for it and the powerful emotions it births but then... Then I see you, Irene; the smartest and most protective sister I have, and the way you talk about the mate bond and how you don't wish to lose yourself in it and remain your own person no matter what, and I just... I feel like I won't be able to do that. I am not strong enough. And that scares me to death because I know I will end up disappointing you both." The words left Ceres's lips in a low mumble, diamond-like tears kissing her smooth cheeks, and Tulip pursed her lips sadly while Irene felt guilt pressing down on her chest.

"And then there's you Tulip, the most caring, loving, and gentlest soul I have ever known. I remember when we were young, you were always excited at the idea of meeting your mate and spending the rest of your life with them and... I will never forget the terror I felt for you, the hurt too, when Fenrir attacked you and tried to mark you like some feral wolf... And after that, by Goddess, I was terrified of meeting my mate and going through something similar with her." By then, Ceres was shaking like a child and Irene pulled her in and embraced her strongly while Tulip felt her heart sinking at her words.

"The first time I met Princess Hannya, I simply ran away from her. I-I had never, ever, felt that way before and I was so fearful of her attacking me the same way Fenrir did you that I just..." A look of guilt and sadness overtook Ceres's features then, she could never forget the look in Hannya's eyes just before she ran away from her, and both Irene and Tulip listened silently.

"She is kind and sweet and she never tries to do anything that would make me uncomfortable. And I appreciate that more than I could ever tell her because I know how long she has been waiting for me and how much harder it must be for her. Especially because of my Succubus blood... But I get scared too. Because I am not as strong as you both and I know when the moment arises, no matter how sooner or later, I would not be able to push her away. And that is so, so, fucking scary because I..." Ceres could not finish that sentence, breathing shakily as her tears soaked Irene's neck, and Tulip leaned closer only to kiss her temple; holding her too.

"Because you already love her," Irene had finished for her after a moment, she sounded gentle yet sad, and Ceres broke down into sobs as she pressed her face into her chest while Tulip kissed her head, over and over.

"I-I am so scared, Irene. I-I am so fucking scared. I don't want to lose Ethel. I-I don't want to lose them." Ceres was shaking, a hue of red magic surrounding her, and Tulip looked up at Irene when she used her magic to calm her at once.