Chapter 29

(Unedited)

Nyx's scowl could not get any deeper.

"I'm honestly not surprised that we really knew nothing about your people or your world," she mumbled as she read another passage, well into their second day of seeking answers, and Irene nodded at their words as she poured tea.

"I did find it quite strange how...limited their imagination was considering all that people have accomplished in your realm," the blue-haired princess replied most elegantly and Nyx scoffed softly before accepting the tea with a smile, glancing around at the beautiful garden once more.

"I suppose they found it too far-fetching to imagine that vampires could have asked witches for help with the whole blood-lust situation," they rolled their eyes at their own words and Irene frowned as soon as they winced at the first sip, realizing the tea was too hot for them.

"Perhaps... For as long as our history has been documented, there has been only one case of a blood-crazed vampire and even he was handled with great effectiveness, courtesy of the first light witch, Galadreya," Irene turned around to grab a scroll and her lips lifted in a smile when she could sense Nyx wiping at their burnt tongue with their fingers only to sit properly the moment she turned back to them.

"Galadreya's mate was the first vampire's son, a man plagued with unmatched craving for blood and he had to be placed under a spell after he slaughtered a village in a few minutes... When Galadreya realized who he was to her, she spent half a century trying to help him, and, in the end, she came up with the spell to easily sate the vampiric need for blood," Irene offered Nyx the scroll, causing their eyes to widen once more when the words around it shifted only to create a moving picture and their lips parted in awe.

"Galadreya spelled a chalice, asking the first vampire family to drink from it and once they heeded, they discovered the desire for blood vacating their lungs in an instant. The spell focused on--" when Irene halted mid-sentence, Nyx's eyes found her at once and she waited kindly for the princess to continue, patient.

"Galadreya exploited the most potent bond known to any supernatural— the mate bond —and she utilized it to change their very nature for good. For once they had consumed from the chalice, the only blood the vampire ever desired was that of their mates. And passed on that trait to their children and their children and so forth," while Irene spoke those words with a certain steely tone, Nyx remained unaware as they watched the beautiful picture of Galadreya helping the vampires.

"It shows here that-- Wait, she did not just help the vampires..." Nyx trailed off then, in awe of the first light witch who had shaped the new realm she had found herself in for the best and Irene nodded at their words, feeling at ease again. 

"Galadreya was a light witch and although she loved her mate, she also mourned the loss of all innocent lives. So, she made a pact with the humans to ensure that would never happen and concocted another spell to protect them. It allowed humans absolute control, it gave them a choice to say no, and if anyone ever dared to take their blood without their consent, it would turn into poison and instantly kill them," Irene's words caused Nyx to look at her wide-eyed, their dark brown eyes full of so many loud and wild emotions and the princess appeared confused at her reaction.

"Consent... She gave them their consent back... No wonder people in my world could not come up with that," there was bitterness in Nyx's voice as they said that and Irene appeared alarmed at their tone, causing them to calm down at once.

"I'm sorry. It's just that... Things are very dissimilar where I come from. Back there, people who deem themselves more powerful take advantage of those without it, and... Nobody ever really does anything to change that," Nyx spoke in a nimble tone, their eyes heavy with sadness, and Irene frowned at her words, confused.