Chapter 25

(Unedited)

Aaliyah felt dazed, and so did Bida.

"...and everyone here is so damn pretentious! Like, okay, I get it that you all believe that mate bonds are it but why can you not have fun before that? If they're actually your mate they shouldn't care if you've been with someone before, no?!" Juno ranted angrily, pacing before her mother who was lost in her thoughts, and she would have not even halted if someone had not knocked on the door just then.

"Bida, it is I, Esme," the woman sounded anxious as she spoke from behind the door and Aaliyah's heart sprinted as she quickly approached the door only to halt at the last second.

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" noticing the way Aaliyah tried to tame her already perfect hair, Juno exclaimed under her breath and her scowl deepened as soon as her eyes found Esme.

"Oh... Uh, hello," Esme mumbled as she gazed at Aaliyah, her brown cheeks becoming rosy in her presence, and Juno rolled her eyes as the mated pair continued to simply stand there like love-sick teenagers.

"What the fuck do you want?" the younger dragon barked once she was near them, angering Bida, and Esme stood taller as she took a step back, something that her mate noticed instantly.

"I do not want anything... I believe you had promised Ray an evening stroll? She was asking for you," Esme's demeanor had shifted again, she appeared tentative and far, and while Bida wanted to rip someone apart, Aaliyah nodded kindly.

"So what? You have turned into Queen Rayelle's errand dog now?" Juno scoffed, stepping closer to Esme in a threatening manner and her words caused Aaliyah to gasp, her eyes looking up at her daughter in shock.

"Just because my mother treated you humanely once does not mean that she has forgotten what an absolute piece of shi--" There were a lot of reasons why Juno was angry at that moment but none of them vouched for such harsh words and even Aaliyah understood that.

"That's enough, Juno," although she did not raise her voice, Aaliyah's command was as clear as the anger in her eyes, and Juno appeared appalled yet she heeded at once.

"Wait for me inside your room," she told her then, firmly yet kindly, and Juno glared at Esme one last time before stomping her way to her room like a brat.

"You should not have done that," Esme sighed lowly, having stepped even further away from her mate, and Aaliyah shook her head as she regarded her with a soft gaze.

"I should have done that a long time ago... I apologize on Juno's behalf. She means well," her voice was gentle, almost like a melody that Esme never wanted to cease, and the way her heart reacted to it, she knew Aaliyah must sense it too.

"She is protective of you. She loves you," Esme replied in kind, gazing at her lovely mate longingly, and Aaliyah's lips lifted in the most beautiful smile, it made her mate's heart swoon and sing.

"She does, yes, and I love her all the same if not more... I only wish she could be kind to others who are vital to me as well," as soon as Aaliyah said that, her cheeks started burning, and then they both lowered their gazes before looking anywhere but at each other.

Esme cleared her throat loudly and winced.

"I, uh... I will leave-- I mean, I shall-- wait--" As she stumbled on her words, Esme's cheeks reddened like never before and Aaliyah struggled to hide her smile, her dainty fingers hiding her mouth.

"Tell Rayelle I shall meet her in the garden soon," taking pity on her poor mate, Aaliyah had spoken with the sweetest voice and Esme looked up at her with the most thankful gaze before nodding.