Chapter 24

(Unedited)

Esme groaned as she stirred awake, feeling fatigued yet rejuvenated.

"Take it easy," a sweet voice whispered, causing her eyes to open at once and Iris smiled at her best friend lovingly, welcoming her embrace with a tired smile that finally reached her eyes.

"You scared the living hell out of me," Esme squeezed the woman in her arms, her homey scent making her heart feel at ease, and Esme pressed several kisses against her hair, at peace as well.

"I'm sorry, I did not mean to," Iris mumbled lowly, sounding much better now and Esme pulled back only to gaze at her face, she looked healthier as well as she observed her.

"I am never letting you out of my sight again, you hear me? You are never going on any quests without me again," Esme glared at her smiling best friend, her heart soaring for her still, and Iris pressed a loving kiss against her forehead before nodding.

"I am fine with that, my dear," even as Iris said that she knew if Arawn wished to get to her, not even Esme could stop them and her best friend nodded firmly before looking behind her only to find Bida watching her.

"Oh, Bida... My apologies, I did not realize you were here as well," Esme seemed embarrassed then, giving her mate a timid smile, and Bida nodded her way, their diamond eyes full of concern and adoration.

"How are you feeling now, mate?" when Bida asked that, Esme finally remembered the ritual Iris performed before she lost consciousness and she breathed deeply, searching inside her, only to sigh in relief.

"It's gone," Iris mumbled happily, gazing at her best friend who nodded with a teary smile, and Bida felt at ease as well, they had been worried sick since they saw just how evil the dark magic inside her was.

"It really is and it's all thanks to you, Iris... But you are not forgiven for being so foolish, how could you step into a trap like that? You should have sensed the spell a hundred miles away if not more," Esme's gaze was colored in worry again, studying her beloved anchor's features closely, and Iris smiled gently her way, realizing that Arawn was not a good liar.

"I was missing you all so much that I could not see the spell until it had me. But now that I am home and with you, I am sure any spell would be terrified of coming near me," though Iris said those words seriously, Esme scoffed loudly for she could see the slight mischief in her eyes and she hugged her anchor once more, sighing merrily.

"You are right, I will not let anyone or anything harm you. Nothing at all," Esme mumbled with conviction, she meant every word, and while Bida smiled at the two, Iris managed a chuckle as she patted her back.

"I have faith in you, my dear... Now come, I believe there is someone special that you need to greet properly," Iris smiled before getting up, causing Esme to grin widely, and Bida felt their heart skipping a beat at the lovely sight.

"Why yes, of course! I have been dying to hold Sylvia again!" Esme looked completely excited, holding onto her anchor's arm with a glowing grin, and just as they were about to walk away, she turned to her mate.

"Come on, Bida, let's go see Sylvia," Esme's zeal was infectious, causing Bida to nod at once, and Iris transported them to Gen's room only for the woman to look up at them with a knowing smile.

"You're here for Sylvia I presume," Gen rolled her eyes in mock hurt, scowling at Esme who ignored her before heading straight for the blue-haired baby, and Iris welcomed Azure in her arms, holding her close as she still healed after watching her suffer like that.

It had been difficult, to remove the spell from around her family only to see the terror in their eyes and Iris did her best as she tried to explain how Arawn, whom everyone still called Imogen, had saved her without needing Bida's scale. Her sweet daughter sobbed as she clung to her, her lithe frame trembling with grief, and Iris held her for as long as she wished, welcoming Irene and Ceres into the hug as well. Ray, for one, did not shy away from giving her a good scolding, pulling her ear for the extra measure as well and once she was done, she gave her precious daughter a long, warm, and homey hug that left her feeling far far better within seconds. Gen, being herself, punched her in the gut before embracing her, and Azure, who was traumatized still, remained silent in her arms. Sybil cried openly, mumbling profanities and cursing the non-existent witch whose spell had hurt her sister. But, in the end, they all felt thankful for Arawn — Imogen — for saving her.