Chapter 13

T.W: Gore. Blood. Torture.

(Unedited)

Irene took a deep breath before walking inside the throne room...

"Mother. Mama Sybil, I need your help," The young princess asked them strongly, catching the attention of not just the ones addressed but others too, and Azure smiled tiredly at the sight of her beautiful daughter.

"Of course, my dear... We will continue this tomorrow, yes? In the meantime, please make sure that the villagers get food and all the supplies they need." Azure was quick to dismiss everyone, Sybil standing by her side quietly, and once they were alone, Irene stepped up to them.

"I need you to open a portal to the Demon realm for me," Princess Irene told them valiantly, her words surprising Azure enough to take her to smile away, and Sybil sighed deeply because she understood why she was asking about it.

"You do not have to do that, Irene. Ceres will be fine," Sybil's voice was as exhausted as her eyes, her words making Irene shake her head immediately and Azure glanced up when Kahlan and Sin walked into the scene.

"Please, Mama. You have to let me go so I can fix everything. I can not--" Irene silenced herself when her voice rose, it was not like her to lose control but she could see no other options, and Sybil watched her in worry while Azure stayed silent.

"It is my fault that Ceres is suffering," the young princess admitted in a low and sad voice, alarming every adult present, and Sybil shook her head vehemently at her words but the princess's mind was already made.

"Please let me explain... Ceres has been miserable for weeks now because she said some really mean things to Hannya before she left and now no matter what I do I can neither make Ceres happy nor reach the demon princes so that I can fix everything," Irene was desperate at this point, she had tried many spells to reach out to Princess Hannya but the woman never replied and now she had no other choice but to plead her case before her mother.

"You... You have to understand, Mama Sybil. Ceres is refusing to eat. She has not had a drop of blood in over a month and now she can not even cast the simplest of spells because of how exhausted she is. But I know I can help her, the same way I helped Tulip and I must--" Irene did not even realize she had started weeping until Sybil's arms were around her, and Azure smiled sadly when her daughter quickly hid her tears with her magic.

"Alright, we will open the portal for you but you must understand that you are not at fault, my dear. Don't blame yourself, please and I will come with you--" Sybil paused when her niece pulled away at once, looking up at her with the bright blue eyes she had inherited from Azure, and Kahlan smiled at them as she stayed in Sin's arms.

"No, Mama. I must do this alone. I assure you I will be fine," Princess Irene gave her aunt the sweetest smile she could muster, hoping she would give in, but when that did not happen, she grumbled under her breath in distaste.

"Okay, how about this: I will wear a charm around my neck so you can come save me should I need it." No matter how hard she tried to fight her aunt's gaze, Irene could not win and Kahlan chuckled when she submitted unhappily while Sybil grinned cheekily.

"See, that's why you are my favorite niece-- Don't tell Sadie I said that, please." The proud grin on Sybil's face disappeared the instant she thought of Sadie, the little devil would have tortured her if she ever heard those words, and Irene nodded with a beautiful smile.

"Here, wear this around your neck at all times," Kahlan helped Irene put on a beautiful red charm around her neck and the princess nodded thankfully before accepting her loving kisses and hugs.