37 ➵ Watch the stars and steal my thoughts why don't you?

"So about that night

"So about that night... thanks by the way for saving my ass and shit."

I rambled not sure of what else to say to this mystery of a man.

He smirked ever so slightly and shook his head. "I'm sure you could've saved yourself with or with out me, I was just there to help in the moment." I cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah? How do you know?" I laughed.

He smiled then. Then he shrugged, "don't know, I could just tell." Was his only response and I hummed in return.

We sat in comfortable silence for a few moments and I started to wonder.

The events today could have definitely not prepared me for its ending. How and why this man was on my roof, somehow on one those lone nights when all in I wanted was to be alone but not really, smoking a cig and staring at the stars with me was not what I pictured it to be.

And the fact I was completely and utterly unfazed by the fact anyone of my brothers could barge into my room and find him at anytime shocked me.

It was locked but still they have ways...

I was just here in the moment, still in pure awe that he was real and I actually know who the hell he is now.

Damiano.

Ricardo specifically.

Sole heir to the Sicilian mafia. As mysterious as night and a kill count so starkly high evens the best of assassins would disappear into mist near him. He was a complete and utter enigma to the underground, on paper he almost didn't exist, but word of mouth is all you need to instil fear into people.

And that's what he did best according to the stories.

Yet here I sat next to the tale of obscurity himself

"Aren't they pretty?" I asked, tucking my chin between my pulled up knees, staring at the twinkle and flick of the stars. I don't know what I expected him to say, maybe nothing at all, "Hm, they are." Was what I got instead

I sighed, " I like to stare at them sometimes, especially on nights like these... they feel extra special." I admitted not giving two damns if I came across as overly honest or forward, I was too tired and not in the right mind to care.

But on those lonely nights the stars that sparked so brightly called my name like an invisible wind. On nights where David was especially riled up, I stared at the wall, or gate, sometimes evens a window and I prayed I'd finally become a star.

The wish was never granted.

"Yeah?" He paused for a moment seeming to want to say something else, and after a few moments sighed and said, "...I do too. My mother once told me stories that when people die they go up there and join the other stars..." he trailed of, staring up at the sky with a look of longing in his eyes that quickly vanished.