Chapter 13: Training Days Part 1

The next day at Heartland Academy, Yuma and Kai were bumming around still thinking about their run in with Kite.

Yuma: We didn't even put up a decent fight. Talk about lousy.

Astral: Had he not suspended the duel, we would most certainly have lost. As a result, Yuma would have lost his soul. And I would have vanished.

Kai: That Kite. He's not like any duelists I've seen. He's something else entirely.

Yuma: Yeah He was really good. Plus, he had that Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon. I've never even seen a monster like that before.

Kai: Yeah. The trio sigh all together.

Tori: Yuma! Tori, Bronk, and Caswell show up.

Yuma: Tori, guys...

Bronk: What are you and Kai doing out here?

Tori: And don't say "brooding" that's not you.

Kai: Sorry, guys. We don't feel like talking right now.

Yuma: Yeah. The two leave in silence.

Caswell: Yuma! Kai! What's the matter?!

Bronk: Yuma's been totally bummed lately. And Kai barely pays attention in class now. Think they're sick or something?

Tori: I don't know. Up above, the stranger who was watching Yuma and Kite's duel was watching the two duelists.

???: This won't do. Later on, Kai and Yuma reach the Tsukumo residence.

Kai: See ya later, Yuma.

Yuma: Yeah. Yuma enters the house. I'm home.

Kari: Welcome back. You're super early today. She noticed.

Yuma: Yeah. I'm gonna go do my homework. He said making his sister face-fault and his grandmother do a spit take.

Kari: Yuma? Doing homework?

Grandma: Maybe he's feeling unwell? Meanwhile, Kai was on his way home. On the way, Shark passed by on his bike and noticed Kai.

Kai: I'm back. He said entering the house.

Chisa: Welcome back. Kai passed her by and headed upstairs. Where are you going? I just made lunch.

Kai: I'll eat later. Kai enters his room and throws himself on his bed.

Cologne: Geez! I really don't like this new mopey you.

Kai: I have a right to be mopey.

Cologne: This is about that Kite guy, isn't it?

Kai:....

Cologne: Are you scared? Granted, he is kinda creepy.

Kai: It's not. It's just...if that duel hadn't stopped, then Yuma would've ended up like that guy at the mall. And if that happened, I'd feel like that's on me.

Cologne: Oh, that's it. Kai's duel gazer goes off. He picks up and sees Tori.

Kai: Tori, what's up?

Tori: Me, Bronk and Yuma are heading to his grandmas friend's place to drop something. Wanna come?

Kai: Nah. Don't feel like it.

Tori: But it'll be nice to get out for a bit.

Kai: I said I don't feel like it! Kai shouted as he hung up.

Cologne: Now you're getting mad at your friends?

Kai: Hmm. That wasn't nice, I know. I just don't know what to do now.