Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair

'Italtic': Notebook

On the second day of school, although it was technically the first day of classes, most of the time was spent reviewing policies and rules. Many students were pleasantly surprised by how kind and approachable the teachers were. Sudou, who had caused a disturbance on the first day, was left alone as he slept soundly during the class. Although the teachers noticed him sleeping, they did not interrupt him.

In this relaxed atmosphere, it soon became lunchtime. Getting up from their seats, the students started to go out to eat lunch with their acquaintances.

I felt something stab my right arm. Turning my head, Horikita seemed slightly surprised that I didn't give a reaction.

'That's not nice.'

She scoffed, "It's payback for flicking my ear."

"I was thinking of going to eat. Does anyone want to come with me?" Hirata asked as he stood up.

"I'm going, too!"

"Me too, me too!"

Hirata and I made eye contact. He would call out to me, but the girls dragged him away.

Horikita left the classroom, leaving me alone.

I got up from my seat and went to the convenience store.

"Kagurazaka-kun... right?"

Kushida stopped me. 

I couldn't lie to myself as she was cute with her straight, short brown hair.

"I'm Kushida, and I'm in the same class. Will you remember my name?"

I nodded.

'Do you need something?'

She seemed slightly surprised when she saw my notebook, "I don't want to be rude, but are you perhaps...?"

'Yes, I'm mute.'

"I would like to ask you something. It's a short question, but Kagurazaka-kun, by any chance, are you on good terms with Horikita-san?"

I stared into her eyes briefly and saw slight hatred when she mentioned Horikita. I must be careful with what I say to her.

I shrugged.

"Oh, I see. Weren't you two getting along on the first day of school? I was asking everyone one by one for their contact info, but... Horikita-san refused to tell me."

"Also, on the day of the entrance ceremony, weren't you two talking to each other in front of the school?"

She was watching us, huh?

"What kind of personality does Horikita have? Is she the type to only speak her mind to her close friends?"

'Why do you want to know about Horikita?'

"During the self-introductions, Horikita-san walked out of the room, right? It looked like she didn't talk to anybody, so I was worried about her."

She knows Horikita's name, but Horikita never introduced herself.

'What about me? I left during the self-introduction. I don't think I'm the only one to leave. Why aren't you asking the other ones that left?'

She seemed at a loss for words as she started feeling slightly distraught. 

"Sorry... Maybe I came on too strong. I'm sorry for asking you a weird question."

I patted the top of her head, causing a hint of pink to form on her cheeks, "Eh? Why did you do that?"