Vol. 1 Chp. 6: Group Of Failures

'Italic': Notebook

I couldn't seem to fall asleep, so I got up and exited my room.

I decided to go for a walk.

"Hmm?"

The elevator was on the 7th floor. Feeling curious, I looked at the CCTV monitor inside. It was Horikita in her school uniform.

I didn't want to face her, so I hid behind the vending machine. The elevator reached the first floor.

While being wary of her surroundings, Horikita exited the building. After she disappeared into the dark, I chased after her.

However, I hid myself again after turning the corner.

Horikita stopped moving. There was another person's figure.

"Suzune. I didn't think you'd follow me all the way here."

Did she leave at this hour to meet with a boy?

"I'm different from the useless me that you know. I've come here to catch up to you."

"Catch up to me, huh?"

Nii-san? I couldn't see the person she was talking to, but it looked like it was Horikita's older brother.

"I heard you are in class D; it doesn't seem like anything's changed in the last three years. Because you've always been looking at my back, you've never been able to see your flaws. Choosing to come to this school was another one of your mistakes."

"That's—that's wrong. I'm going to rise to class A. And then..."

"That's impossible. You'll never reach class A. Rather, your class will crumble before that. This school isn't as easy as you think it is."

"I will reach class A..."

"I already said it's impossible. You're an unreasonable younger sister."

Horikita's older brother takes a step forward. From my hiding spot, I could see his form more clearly.

It was the student council president.

His expression showed no emotion, as if he was looking at an existence that didn't interest him.

He grabbed his younger sister's wrist and pushed her against the wall.

"No matter how much I avoided you, you are still my younger sister. If people start to learn about you, I will be disgraced. Leave this school immediately."

"N-no... I will, I will rise to class A...!"

"Foolish. Do you want to relive the painful experiences of the past?"

"Nii-san... I will..."

"You have neither the power nor the qualifications to aim for class A. Understand that."

His body drew forward as if he were about to take action. The situation looks dangerous.

I stopped recording, sliding my phone into my pocket.

I stepped out from my corner and approached the older brother.

I grabbed his right arm.

"What? Who are you?"

Looking at his arm, he looked at me with a sharp glint.

"Kagurazaka-kun?!"

"It's not admirable to eavesdrop."

I reached into my pocket, pulled out my phone, and played the video recording.

At that moment, he aimed for my face with a quick backhand.