Vol. 2 Chp. 5: A Second Identity

'Italic': Notebook

Late at night, I received a text from Kushida.

Kushida: Sorry for texting so late. Did I wake you up?

Kagurazaka: No, what's up?

Kushida: Sakura-san's digital camera broke, right? I feel like I'm partially to blame because I was talking to her and made her nervous, so I wanted to take responsibility for that...

Kagurazaka: So, did you offer to help?

Kushida: Yep. She was hesitant but eventually said she'd be okay with the day after tomorrow. I think that a digital camera is probably essential to her.

Of course, the camera is essential to Sakura.

Kagurazaka: You want something from me, right?

Kushida: Ehehehe... Was it that obvious?

Kagurazaka: Yes.

Kushida: I want your cooperation, Kagurazaka-kun. Horikita-san is convinced that she's the witness, and after getting a bit closer to Sakura-san myself, I also think that she knows more about the incident than she's letting on. However, since she's been denying it, there must be some reason why she's keeping quiet."

Kagurazaka: I understand. I will help out.

I ended the conversation there.

~Timeskip~

Just before noon on Sunday, I went to the shopping mall to fulfill my agreement with Kushida.

Someone else was sitting on one side of the two benches. It was Sakura, and she was wearing a disguise—a mask and a hat.

"Good morning!" Kushida approached with a broad smile on her face.

I lifted my hand and waved.

"I'm sorry, have you been waiting long?"

I shook my head.

Kushida was wearing casual clothing that matched her cute appearance.

While we exchanged words that seemed to come from a standard dating template, I unintentionally stared at Kushida's body from head to toe. She was cute, too cute. I couldn't suppress my excitement at seeing Kushida's figure in casual clothes for the first time.

"Were you busy during last week's holiday? You should've come along then as well, Kagurazaka-kun."

I tilted my head because I didn't know what she was saying.

"I mean when I went to the cafe with Ike-kun and the others."

'This was the first time I had heard of it.'

Kushida slightly frowned, "Oh... Are you upset that you weren't invited to come along?"

I shook my head.

"It doesn't look like she's here yet," Sakura was here, but she didn't want to announce her presence.

"She asked me to invite you, Kagurazaka-kun. Aren't you in contact with Sakura-san?"

'We've hardly talked.'

"Could it be that she fell in love with you at first sight or something?" Kushida smiled smirk-like.

I glanced over to Sakura before removing the hat from her head. She seemed slightly startled, "I'm sorry, my presence is thin... Good morning..."

'I noticed you right away. I was waiting for you to announce your presence.'