Vol. 3 Chp. 6: A Walk

'Bold': Sign language

On day 3, I left the base camp just before noon and turned my feet to enter the forest. Just then, a girl came near, running from behind.

Sakura gasped and panted, "What are you planning to do now, Kagurazaka-kun?"

Sakura came running like she was searching for me. She exhaled, and her chest moved up and down with every breath.

She doesn't know sign language.

"Ah... You can nod or shake your head to answer my questions," Sakura said.

"Can I join you in whatever you're doing?" She asked.

I nodded.

"I know I shouldn't come. I'd be a hindrance, but..." Sakura trailed off.

"Are you worried about various rumors in circulation?" Sakura asked.

I shook my head.

Sakura was mumbling something to herself.

"Is going on walks fun for you?" Sakura asked.

I nodded.

When our eyes met, Sakura hurriedly averted her gaze and looked down.

Even the fact that she managed to look at people for one moment. Taking in only one reaction from others differed from when we first met.

"That said... it seems like that man retired after the incident."

That man worked at an electronics retail store on the school's premises and was a highly enthusiastic fan of Sakura when she was a gravure idol.

No, he was more of a stalker. He wasn't satisfied with spending all his time on Sakura's homepage, but if there were a chance, he would attempt any contact with her, and I understood he was up to something.

"Thanks for that time... It's all thanks to Kagurazaka-kun."

I don't think I did much since Kiryuuin did most of the work. I did make the right choice to make sure she was alright.

Sakura changed the topic, "I wanted to take photographs by myself."

Sakura smiled bitterly, "It didn't go well at all, and I took much more time than others. Also, a cameraman would take shots of all the girls to reduce the number of people involved as much as possible. Besides... as if I was without emotion when I erased myself, I could endure it emptily. But, in the end, I stopped doing it since I reached my breaking point."

Because she talked without pausing, Sakura suddenly paused momentarily and breathed in and out.

The case of the stalker seemed to have left a big scar on Sakura.

Before our eyes, there was quite a thick bunch of trees. I left Sakura's side and led and opened a path. If Sakura ended up hurt because of the branches, there'd be a lot of trouble. Then, after walking for a while, I felt that the front of the path was becoming steep, so I decided it'd be better to take a break soon.

I looked back. Looking back, I never thought I would see Sakura trembling and shaking shoulders.

I searched for a big tree that could protect us with shade from the weather that was becoming hotter and hotter. I sat between the roots, where two people could sit well.

I gestured for her to sit.

"Is it okay?"

I nodded.

"Mhm, yes..."

Sakura sank next to me, keeping her distance. It was a distance where the sleeves of our gym uniforms were touching slightly.