Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Class B's and A's Camps

'Bold': Sign language

Having decided to check Class A and B situations to use our spare time effectively, we went into the forest from the root of a broken big tree, as Kanzaki told us.

The moment we walked into the deep forest, we noticed some change. It was easy to walk through since there were traces of many students beating the path. By simply following the trail, we reached the Class B campsite.

Soon after, we reached the Class B campsite.

"I wonder if it will look like one would expect of Class B..."

Upon arriving at the campsite, I was struck by how different it was from what I was used to in Class D. The location was not ideal, lacking space to pitch 3 or 4 tents for our group of 8. However, they found a solution, which was to use hammocks instead. 

Seeing how we started the same way was interesting, but our gear and equipment vastly differed. One device, in particular, near the well caught my attention, but the unique atmosphere of the Class B camp truly surprised me.

"Huh? Horikita-san? And Kagurazaka-kun?"

As if sensing the presence of sudden visitors, a girl tying a string to attach a hammock to a tree turned her head toward us and called out. A figure in jersey resembled a lot of Ichinose. A little far away was Kanzaki.

"The class is functioning surprisingly well. Although you are facing many hardships with your base."

"Ahaha. It was hard at first. But I tried figuring out various ways, and I've made it work. Although there's still plenty of work to be done," Ichinose said, smiling while finishing tying the rope tightly.

"Then I assume it's wrong to be in your way."

"I'm sorry. I guess that has become a way of leave-taking. It's okay to take a break. I wonder if you came to visit to ask me something."

Without detest, Ichinose encouraged us to sit on the hammock, but Horikita refused her offer.

I didn't decline the offer as I sat down. Ichinose sat down beside me.

"I wonder if it's okay to think we're more or less in a cooperative relationship since the last time."

"At least I think that way."

"Well, how many points did you use so far? On what did you use points? And if you could tell us the rating of your tools, we'd be saved. We'd tell some information as well, of course."

 Ichinose smiled and took out the manual from her bag. While showing that they had a list of what they bought on a blank paper, she read it aloud: "Hammock, cookware, small tent, lantern, and provisional toilet. Fishing rod and water shower... If we combine it with food, it's a total of 70 points."

'Water shower?'

"Well then, let's explain the situation gradually, shall we? Since various places contain fruits and vegetables in the woods, we substitute shortage with points while searching for supplies. Then we went to the sea and caught some fish too. That's what we eat. We're not worried about water since we have a well."

Did Class B obtain this place because Kushida and others found several fruits? Even judging by the word "vegetable," should we consider it their fruit of labor compared to Class D?

Ichinose took us to the front of the well, moved a pulley, and scooped up the water with a wooden bucket.

"At first, there was a danger of water being polluted, so I was worried if we should drink it, but looking at the cultivated food and surrounding environment, I concluded the well was well-managed. For caution's sake, I only tried drinking it yesterday. I waited some time, but I didn't get diarrhea. From this morning, everyone's sharing and using well's water."