Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding A Witness

'Italic': Notebook

Lunch break. I was involved with the usual group and went to the cafeteria for some reason.

The members were me, Kushida, Horikita, Ike, Yamauchi, and Sudou.

Horikita sighed in exasperation, "Why do you cause problems, Sudou-kun?"

Naturally, the topic of discussion was how to prove Sudou's innocence.

"Well, it can't be helped, so we'll assist you as friends, Sudou."

Although he initially treated Sudou as the wrong person, Ike's attitude changed. It's because Kushida stepped in. Even so, Sudou apologized.

"I'm sorry for causing trouble, Horikita. However, I wasn't the one at fault. I was frustrated at those Class C bastards."

Sudou talked to Horikita in an indifferent tone.

"I'm sorry, but I don't feel like helping this time."

Horikita immediately rejected Sudou's request for help.

"The most important thing for class D to rise is to take back the points we lost as quickly as possible. However, because of you, we probably won't be able to get any points. In other words, you've just messed up that plan."

"Wait a second. It's probably true, but I'm seriously not the one at fault! I only hit them because they provoked me first! What part of that is my fault!?"

"You keep saying they started the fight, but it's a trivial difference. Were you not aware of that?"

"Trivial, my ass. It's completely different. I'm not the one to blame!"

"Is that so? Well, good luck."

Grabbing her untouched tray, Horikita stood up.

"Are you not going to help!? Aren't we friends!?"

"Don't make me laugh. I've never considered you as a friend. I feel most uncomfortable with people who don't realize how stupid they are. Goodbye."

Horikita sighed, looking more exasperated than angry, and left the room.

"What's up with her!? Dammit!"

Unable to vent his anger anywhere else, he hit the cafeteria table.

I noticed the nearby student's miso soup spilling. I saw him glare at Sudou but fall silent when I looked at his face.

"I guess we'll have to make do with what we have," Yamauchi said.

"I knew you would understand, Yamauchi. I'm relying on you, too, Kagurazaka."

"This is disheartening. I thought we got along when we were preparing for the test..." Ike said in a disappointed tone.

I saw Horikita sitting back down in the distance, looking slightly irritated.

"I don't understand Horikita at all. What's wrong with her, Kagurazaka? Why is she like that?"

'It's how she is.'

"It's strange though. Horikita-san wants to get to Class A. If we save Sudou-kun, the class will receive points. I wonder why she doesn't want to."

"Isn't it because she dislikes Sudou? She said she didn't think of him as a friend."

I don't think saying that was going to help.

"I don't want to think that way, but I guess it's true..."

'She will come around and help. Just give her some time.'

"It's only natural for Kagutazaka-kun to defend Horikita since he's always with her all the time... She's important to him, you know?"