Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Study Group Failure

'Italic': Notebook

It is now the first weekend of May, and Ike and the other students listen attentively to their teachers. Even Sudou was trying his best not to fall asleep during class.

As I was nodding off, my right arm experienced some severe pain.

I turned and saw that Horikita had stabbed me with her compass needle.

'Why did you stab me?'

"I never did."

'That's why you're holding a compass.'

"Are you saying I stabbed you just because I'm holding something in my hand?"

I nodded.

"Be careful. If the teacher saw you dozing off, our points would be subtracted," Horikita said.

They would deduct points for stabbing a student with a compass.

As everyone stood up to go to lunch, Hirata started to talk.

"The test that Chabashira-sensei mentioned is coming up soon. Everyone understands that they'll have to drop out of school if they receive failing marks. So, I think it would be best to form study groups."

"If you neglect your studies, you'll immediately receive failing grades and drop out. I want to avoid that situation. Studying isn't solely for avoiding that situation because there is also a high possibility that our test scores reflect our points. If we get high grades, the assessment of our class will probably go up. I asked some of the people who got good grades to help out. So, I would like people worried about their grades to participate in the study group. Of course, everyone is welcome to join."

Hirata stared at Sudou while he made his speech.

"Tch."

Sudou averted his eyes, crossed his arms, and closed his eyes.

Since Sudou rejected Hirata's invitation to do a self-introduction, their relationship has been wrong.

"From 5 o'clock today until the day of the test, I plan to study every day for 2 hours in this classroom. If you have any thoughts of participating, please come. Of course, it's fine if you have to leave halfway. That's all."

As soon as he said that, several students with failing marks stood up and went to Hirata.

Sudou, Ike, and Yamauchi were the only ones who didn't go to Hirata. Ike and Yamauchi hesitated for a moment, but in the end, they didn't approach him.

I wasn't sure whether they were afraid of Sudou's bad mood or if they were jealous of his popularity.

~Timeskip~

"Are you free during lunch? Do you want to eat together?"

Horikita asked me to eat lunch with her. The world must be ending.

"What's with that expression? I can buy you the vegetable set if you're fine."

A deadpan expression appeared on my face.

'What happened to being allies? Are you using a free meal to have me do your bidding?'

Horikita's eyes narrowed, and she clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"Come with me."

I followed Horikita to the cafeteria. I found a seat and sat with Horikita. I reached into my bag and pulled out a bento.

"Now, the next thing we have to do is improve the midterm test scores in two weeks. Earlier, Hirata-kun also started to take some action."

'I have a hard time being that you're worried for your classmates.'