Chapter 7: Family

Angelo hugged the fluffy stuffed kitten tightly, caressing its sleek fur daintily.

He and Muffy, the name he had given the stuffed animal, had become almost inseparable in the last few weeks. Muffy was one of the few remaining links to his girlhood, and he refused to give it up.

"Mommy," he confessed to his foster mother, "I'm so scared. I just don't know how I can be a boy. I can only imagine how awful it'll be when I start high school. I really, really don't think I can do this."

Mary Elizabeth Dayton had found Angelo curled up on the couch, cuddling Muffy, his hair flowing across his face. She couldn't resist sitting next to him, gently running her hand down his slender, pretty arms.

He was dressed, in boy's shorts and tee shirt, but with the length of his hair, fair complexion and slim body, he looked very much like the little girl he desperately wanted to be.

Mary Elizabeth knew he would feel so out of place as a boy in a large high school. She knew how inadequate he felt as a boy, and she knew she had to strengthen his spirit so that he would be able to do what had to be done and start school as a boy.

"Angelo, my darling. I know you and you are strong. You managed to survive up until I found you. I know you'll do fine once you get to school. You'll find some nice friends, insure if it." As she said these words, she began to tear up herself, her eyes moistening as she fought off sobs that would only worsen Angelo's feelings.

Right now, as she hugged this tender, gentle boy she desperately wanted to let him dress himself in the prettiest outfit in the closet. But, she knew that she had to direct him away from such girly things and try to make him boyish enough so he could remain with her in foster care.

"Mommy, I hope you're right, but I just don't know. I'm so scared."

He began to sob aloud now, and Mary Elizabeth could do nothing more than hug him tighter. And that she did, embracing him warmly, with Muffy tucked between them.

After a few moments, she pulled away from Angelo and stood up, "Come on, get up from here. I need you to help me."

"With what, mommy? What do you want me to do?"

"Well, my son Dean is visiting us this weekend, with his family. They'll be here tomorrow, and you'll have to sleep in my room. We have to set up a cot for you. Dean and his wife will sleep in my office and the kids in your room. The house needs cleaning up too. "

At that moment, Angelo suddenly felt a shock of fear. He knew that Mary Elizabeth had three grown sons that all lived out of town. He began to wonder what she had told them about him and whether she had warned them that she had a foster child who might be a little different from other boys.

"Oh mommy," he said, wanting to ask her about what she had told Dean about him, but he didn't. "That's nice. I know you want to see them and your two grandchildren."

"Yes," she replied, knowing how fearful he might be about meeting her family. "And I want them to meet you and know what a marvelous boy you are."

"They won't like me."

"Why do you say that? I've told them about you, and they know how happy you've made me. They'll adore you."

"No, they won't. Your boys were big and strong and muscular and played football. And, well, look at me."

"No honey. I think they'll like you. And I know you'll like Dean's kids. Clara is seven and Jake is four."

Mary Elizabeth loved Angelo so much, as much as her own boys, and she was hoping they'd like him as well. Still, she knew Angelo was right. She too was concerned how her football-playing, masculine sons, and their families would take to this sweet, delicate boy.