Chapter 11: Secrets of the Dark

Get ready for some cutesy moments. ;)

I took a shower, got dressed, dried my hair, and lightly applied makeup after praying Fajr. Izhar had gone back to sleep after praying and I slowly closed our bedroom door behind me so he wouldn't wake up. As I made my way down the spiral staircase, I heard voices coming from one end. I followed the sound delicious aromas and headed down to the kitchen. It overlooked a small dining area, I guessed there was another bigger one somewhere else. The side near the table was completely open and Mama, Huda Appi, Maya Phuppo, and Hafsa Chachi, Arsalan Chachu's wife were talking and making breakfast.

"AsSalaamualaikum," I said making my way towards them.

"Walaikum asSalaam beta," they all replied.

"What are you doing up so early?" Huda Appi asked.

I stood next to Ammi and she said, "Yeah, beta. It's only seven o'clock."

I watched her get the things ready for the paratha. "No Ammi, it's fine. I have a habit of waking up early."

"But you and Izhar got very little sleep last night. Everyone usually wakes up at nine or ten on weekends," Huda Appi said smirking while cutting vegetables.

"That's okay. Do you all need any help?"

"No my dear. You go sit over there and don't worry about anything," Hafsa Chachi sweetly said pointing to the chairs.

They were all so kind and were already treating me like their own daughter.

"Beta, you want something to eat?" Maya Phuppo asked as she made a fruit platter.

"No thank you. But I'd love to help," I said eagerly.

They all looked at each other and smiled at me. "Okay, fine. Can you make Kheer?" Ammi asked.

Thankfully Mama had taught me how to cook and I always liked to bake so making sweets wasn't a problem. I nodded my head and she chuckled.

"Well, then. Today everyone will eat the new bride's Kheer with paratha." Mama handed me a gallon of milk and bowl of washed rice.

I happily took the ingredients from her. I wasn't a pro, but I was perfectionist, and on my first day at my in-laws I knew I had to do a good job.

******

I wiped my forehead and moved the loose strands that escaped my roughly tied bun at the nape of my neck. I took the Kheer from the fridge and poured it into a glass serving bowl. I sprinkled the pistachios I had peeled and sliced to garnish on top.

"All done and ready take out?" Imaan asked.

"Yup, here you go." I handed her the bowl.

Imaan, Amirah, and Mahira, Phuppo's two daughters had woken up about an hour ago. They helped set the table and everyone had started to come down for breakfast. Maya Phuppo and Arsalan Chachu's families were staying over till the Walima which was tonight and leaving tomorrow morning. Maya Phuppo lived in London with Kareem Phuppa and their two sons, Kabir and Daud, while Arsalan Chachu lived with Hafsa Chachi and their two daughters in Canada.

Amirah and Mahira were identical twins and in their sophomore year of university. Both had long straight brown hair, the only distinguishable trait being their eyes and nose. Amirah was older by seven minutes and had a straight nose and hazel eyes. Mahira on the other hand had a slightly crooked nose with blue eyes, lighter than the shades in Izhar's. Kabir was an IT engineer and engaged. Daud was in his final year of university, studying pathology.