Chapter 31: If We Could Stop Time

COMMENT AWAY! Lights, camera, action!!!

"Adam! Please put some lights from these branches over here to the ones on that side!" I yelled from across the garden.

"Yes, Bhabi jaan!" he smiled from the top of the ladder.

I turned around and found Anam walking towards me with a bundle of more white string lights in her hands. Her head was down as she tried to untangle several strands from the others.

"Anam," I hollered.

She looked up and smiled as she began to walk faster. "Yes cutie pie! How may I be of your assistance?" she curtisied.

I laughed and looked back at Adam who was fully involved with the branches and lights. "Hey, can you please do me a favor and help Adam? He needs more lights," I said casually.

Anam's eyes narrowed as she looked over my shoulder and inspected Adam. "I have to hang the lanterns!" she argued.

I grabbed her shoulders and said, "Imaan and Sabr are already working on it. Please help him? It'll get done faster," I said unperturbed. 

She exhaled a deep breath, and I peered once more, "Please," I clasped my hands in front of her. 

"Fine! I'll get you back for this," she retorted behind her shoulder as she walked towards Adam.

I watched the two as Anam walked up to Adam, and he looked down at her from the topmost step on the metal ladder. He was quick to catch himself before he toppled over as he became startled with Anam's presence. I chuckled at the two. Ya Allah, help them!

There was a soft breeze in the atmosphere, softly caressing my skin. The tingles in my nerves were from the excitement and adrenaline. Everyone was working on their own individual task. While Imaan and Sabr were hanging up the lanterns above the table we'd placed in the heart of the aromatic garden, Adam and Anam were busy stringing lights around us and up above from branch to branch, Mama and Ammi were finishing up with the last touches to the food, Bhaiya and Zargham Bhai were blowing up balloons, and Bhabi and Huda Appi were setting the table.

The trees around us were blossoming with fresh, dark hunter green leaves, spores of flowers filled each crevice of the brown musky wood. There were several types of flowers planted strategically around the garden, bursting with color. Pinks, reds, whites, blues, purples, yellows and every shade of every color brimmed with brightness all over. 

I breathed in the scent as I looked at how everything was coming together. I had planned each and every small detail to the last minute with everyone's help. There was a place for every family member at the low chestnut table indicated with handwritten calligraphic stationary. Everyone's name adorned the silver and ice blue place cards with a small bow in the middle. The glasses, plates, cutlery, and napkins were set in an orderly fashion. For each person, we'd gotten small mason jars that were occupied with tap water and glow in the dark stick pieces. The mason jars were dazzled with sparkles for the cap: for our sparkling Sahar. When the sun would set, they would provide serene light along with the lanterns and string lights from above. 

Everything was done with precision. The napkins were ice blue, meticulously folded by Sabr, creating a flower. Cream curtains were embellished around the table setting with diamond gossamer ribbons, cushions and rugs forming our ground. The grass was dewy early in the morning but became dry as the late summer sun blazed over it. 

I could finally breathe, seeing that every single detail was in place. My stomach growled, and I instinctively put a hand on my stomach. My little bug was hungry! I smiled as I thought about tonight and what it would bring for us. After the tasks were complete and I was fully satisfied, I went to get ready and made sure that Huda Appi called Izhar, telling him to bring back Sahar.