Chapter 12: Love, Nouran

Arsalan Chachu, Maya Phuppo and their families left yesterday even though Mama and I had both insisted that they stay for dinner at our house tonight. It was tradition that both the bride and groom's side had a dinner gathering at their house when the wedding festivities were done. Amirah, Mahira, and Daud's winter break was ending soon so they had to leave. Before they had left, they made sure to take my cell phone number to keep in touch. The house was already feeling empty and Huda Appi, Zargham Bhai, and Sahar were leaving tonight after the dinner. I wondered how Ammi and Baba felt staying all by themselves for the most part with Imaan. I knew that in a few days time, I would be living alone with Izhar as well.

Ammi wanted us to go out somewhere today in the afternoon, but the weather had abruptly changed so Huda Appi and I made lunch for Imaan, Izhar, Zargham Bhai, Sahar and Ammi. Baba was at work and wouldn't get back till before dinner. I was excited to go back home since it felt like it'd been ages. Mama had also invited Anam, her family, and Adam. They both accepted the invitation kindly, but Anam's parents wouldn't be able to make it since they had somewhere else to go.

I took the pastry dough pinwheels out of the oven and Huda Appi had poured the coffee. Sahar came running in. "Mama!" she yelled.

We both turned around, she looked upset and Izhar ran in right behind her.

"Yes jaani?" Huda Appi bent down to Sahar's level.

I looked up at Izhar and we both smiled at each other. We hadn't talked about the incident from two nights ago, and a quiet understanding had passed between us. He'd held me last night as well. I was starting to think I couldn't sleep without having him close by. It was as if he was battling my invisible demons.

"Mama, Baba said we were leaving today!" Sahar cried.

Poor girl. She was so attached to everyone here. Huda Appi looked up at us with a sad smile.

Izhar walked up to her and kneeled on the floor turning her towards him. "Is that why my girlfriend's upset?"

I smiled at their interaction. They had such a cute relationship. Sahar nodded her head and wiped her eyes with her small hands. "If I was your girlfriend, then you wouldn't let me go!"

The tears were rushing down now, and Huda Appi got up helplessly. Izhar pulled her into his arms and gave a What do I do? expression. Appi shrugged her shoulders and looked at me pleadingly.

I walked up to their hugging figure and bent down as well. Sahar was between Izhar and I. He stared at me apologetically and I nodded my head. I took Sahar from Izhar's arms and wiped her cheeks free of the running tears.

"Why is my Sahar baby crying?" I gently asked.

She peeked at me through her curly eyelashes, lips pouted. She looked so cute. I moved a stray curl away as she said, "I don't want to go home!"

"I don't want you to go home either, and neither does anyone else."

"Then why are Mama and Baba taking me home today?" she whimpered.

"It's going to be so empty after you leave. Look, Arsalan Nana, Maya Dadi, Amirah and Mahira Khala, Kabir and Daud Mamu all left. And then a few days later Izhar Mamu and I will have to leave too. Mama and Baba have work and Imaan Khala will have to start going to school again. That's why. We don't want you to stay all alone." I smiled and patted her cheek.

The whole time Huda Appi and Izhar stayed quiet. Sahar hugged me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"You know you can always come visit whenever you want and you can even call either one of us," I perched her on my hip and got up with her in my arms.