Chapter 33: When The Inevitable Happens

AsSalaamualaikum! Before you begin this chapter, I would like to let you all know that this was a very difficult chapter to write, and I know there will be even harder ones in the future, but please take this into consideration if you become thoroughly upset with me. I know you guys will question me about certain things towards the end, but please have faith in me. I also know that you may become disappointed, but remember that there is a plot to the story, and I simply can't change it just because. All I ask is that everyone have patience, life is full of obstacles, and this story is supposed to be realistic, not fluff! I love you guys: remember this when you are done with the chapter. Lo and behold: 

I was nearly 15 weeks pregnant, and each day brought new surprises. I was on my way home from university when a cramp shot up my back. I softly touched my bloated lower abdomen and tightly held onto the rough black steering wheel before backing out of the parking lot. I looked down at the small bulge in my stomach and smiled at myself. My baby was growing, and not a second went by where I wasn't amazed by the fact that I was carrying another human inside of me. 

"It's gonna be okay little bug," I whispered to the baby.

I'd started to unconsciously talk to my baby, and I hadn't even notice until Izhar pointed it out to me a few weeks ago. No matter what it was, how big or small, I had the need to speak to my belly, and I knew my baby could hear me no matter what daddy said. Izhar had teased me continuously at first, but when my hormones had kicked in, making me upset, he made it up to me with a bowl of chocolate java chip ice cream. After I had finished the whole bowl, he'd told me that it was actually really cute. 

I kept one hand on my stomach as I drove home while I kept the other on the steering wheel, occasionally using both to turn. Izhar wasn't home yet, and there was plenty of time to fix dinner so I decided I would treat myself by wearing my blue snowflake pajamas and an episode or two of a drama. 

I turned the tv on and curled up on the couch. Things were getting interesting on screen, but my eyes started to droop. I tried to keep them open, but they were getting heavy, and a nap sounded like a good idea. Before I knew it, the sounds drained out when I saw Izhar behind my eyes. 

"I think it's going to be a girl," Izhar said as he traced the patterns on my shirt.

"How do you know? Maybe it's a boy," I teased as I combed my fingers through his silky and thick hair.

"I don't know for sure, but I have this gut feeling," he kissed my stomach.

We were sitting on the long cream couch in the library on the other end of the penthouse, and Izhar's head was in my lap. He'd rested himself once I made myself comfortable and had enveloped my feet underneath me. He kept whispering to my stomach, and it was so ticklish, it made me laugh like the little girl I still was inside. 

"You said that when Zarha Bhabi was pregnant with the twins!" I chuckled as he lifted up my shirt and drew patterns directly on my stomach.

My stomach seemed a lot bigger than normal. From my general medical knowledge, I'd guess I was midway into my second trimester, about 28 weeks pregnant. However, as I wove my fingers through Izhar's head, I noticed they were skinnier than usual, which was very unlikely. They seemed frail with only skin and bone interlaced together, but I brushed it off thinking that they weren't moisturized. 

"I did, but this is different. It's like Allah is trying to tell me it'll be a girl. Daddy's princess," Izhar grabbed my attention again.

I looked away from my hands and into his probing eyes, but something was off about his eyes too. They weren't the color of the Positano Bay or the dark brown of the branches planted in our penthouse balcony, but beady black like a hawk's. They frightened me; yet, I didn't say anything.