Chapter 24: Let Truth Reign

Update! ♡ Because I'm an insomniac.

As my eyes started to strain away from the Imam where he stood behind the podium in front of the room facing us, I noticed a slim and lean figure clad in charcoal gray brush past my peripheral vision. I turned and sighed.

No, it couldn't be him.

I smiled down at Silsila as she grabbed onto my finger that I was tracing down her cheek. The Khutbah came to an end, and the duas were given. After everyone greeted Subhan and Sila, we went to pray Maghrib.

I went into the bathroom and checked my hijab in the mirror after I finished praying. I flattened the front of my simple yet elegant long, white salwar kameez with my hands and down my stomach. It had flower embellishments on the top front, back and on the sleeve. There were buttons in the back that ran down to the small of my back. The dupatta was made of net and heavy with little rhinestone balls on the rim.

No missed calls, voicemails, or text messages. This was absolutely ridiculous! How could he do this? Especially during a time like now? I was so frustrated with him, I clenched my fists till my knuckles were bone-white and palms were flushed with blood.

"Nouran? What are you doing here? Everyone's looking for you babe," Anam said as she walked into the bathroom.

She said salaam to one of the Aunty's who walked past her and out of the bathroom, and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm coming," I said hastily.

"Checking to make sure you look fine before Izhar Bhai sees you?" she wiggled her eyebrows at me through the big mirror.

I shook my head and sighed, "Oh please Anam!"

"Oh ho! I'm guessing you haven't seen Izhar Bhai today?" she asked.

My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, and I turned around to look at her. "What? I haven't seen him since yesterday morning."

"Oh yeah, right... Um, never mind," she said extra cheery and looked in the mirror fixing her hijab.

I crossed my arms across my chest and watched her as she nervously hummed under her breath. "Anam?"

"Hm?" she mumbled without looking at me.

"Anam!" I shook her finally getting her attention.

"Huh? What?" she yelled.

"Shh!" I shushed her.

"Haye Allah, what is wrong with this girl? One minute you fight for my attention, and the minute you have it, you shush me!" she huffed childishly.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed deeply. "That doesn't mean you yell! We are in the masjid," I reminded her.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "Yes, I'm listening. Please continue my queen," she remarked sarcastically.

I smacked her arm, and she yelped, rubbing the spot. "What now?"

"What did you say before about me seeing Izhar?" I asked.

Her scrunched up face straightened out, and she gave me a tedious smile. I could smell trouble everywhere.

"Oh that- um yeah...." she laughed knowingly, guilt written all over her face.

I stared at her and shook my head in question. "Anam?" I asked again.

"Nour! You are so bad for keeping me busy with your stupid apprehensions! I almost forgot. Kaiyanat Aunty was looking for you!" she said.

Anam looked around the bathroom, and her eyes zeroed in on the door keeping her away from danger. This girl could surely test my patience.