Chapter 35: Whispers From The Living

Izhar: Hey, you! Yeah, you. *wink* *grin* Please vote and comment for hayatiofparadise. This chapter was 8,961 words! I think she deserves AT LEAST one comment and vote from every single one of you beautiful and amazing people. She'd love more though, and so would I. By the way, don't tell my darling, but I love you all. *wink*
Jummah Mubarak!

"Ms. Hameed? Your next patient is here. I've brought him into room 319," Kayla, the nurse said.

"Thank you!" I smiled at her. She handed me his file and closed my office door behind her as she replied with a courteous welcome.

I turned through the pages of the thick anchor gray file, which resounded under my fingertips and eyed the vitals that Kayla had just recorded. It was Daniel Small, my six year old patient with leukemia. He came to me for his routine and emergency checkups. I grabbed my mini iPad and pager from my black glassed desk before heading out to his room.

I smiled and greeted everyone I passed as I made my way to the patient's room on the other side of the pediatrics floor. I straightened my ice blue and white hijab and white coat before knocking on the closed door.

"Come in," Mrs. Small answered.

I opened the door with a huge smile and greeted Daniel and Mrs. Small. "Hello Mrs. Small. Hi Daniel," I asked and shook both of their hands.

I pulled up the metal stool with the black leather seat covering and sat in front of the blinds. I faced a shyly smiling Daniel and assuredly patted his knee. "How are we feeling today?"

"My head hurts," he sighed sadly.

"Can you show me where?" I asked gently.

He grumpily pointed to his right temple and Mrs. Small sighed apprehensively. I smiled at his mom and got up with my stethoscope. I put the eartips in my ear and held the chest piece to his chest.

"Breathe in, and breath out," I said as I demonstrated along with him. "Very good! Now again," I said as I moved to his back.

"Only your head?" Mrs. Small asked Daniel deliberately as I took out the eartips and wrapped the stethoscope around my neck.

I laughed inwardly and grabbed the otoscope to check for any signs of an ear infection. "My throat hurts when I swallow, and- and my tummy hurts," he whimpered.

"Aww, I'm so sorry. Stay still for me," I said as I looked through the scope to his throat. There was slight swelling and an abnormal pink tinge. I then moved it to his ear. "Well buddy, it seems to me that your breathing is fine but there is presence of a slight sore throat, and you have a the smallest hints to an ear infection."

I discarded the covering for the scope and put it back on the handle beside his head on the wall. I grabbed a thin sterile stick from one of the drawers to check for a sore throat. I unwrapped the stick and asked him to open his mouth. "Look at that corner in the upper right. It's going to be very quick, okay?"

After I got the sterile stick stained, I sat down on my stool and started making notes of his symptoms. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the pain?" I asked.

"Seven and a half," his long, arched eyebrows rose to the top of his forehead as he thought it through.

"Thank you," I tapped away on my iPad. "So Mrs. Small, how has Daniel been doing?" I directed back to his mom.

"He's been complaining about his headache since three days ago. He hasn't been eating anything and keeps complaining that nothing tastes good. I've been giving him one tablespoon of Robitussin twice a day since two nights ago, and the other day he threw up all the soup I made him drink," she said calmly.