Chapter 25: A Desi Wedding Household Part 2

COMMENT! I dare you. And because this chapter is 7,057 words! 

"Nouran beti, can you please tell those shaytaan kids to stop stealing all the jalebis?" Hafsa Chachi grumbled.

I laughed out loud and she shook her head at me. "Hafsa Chachi, how could I? They're so cute ma sha Allah! Just look at them," I said gushing over their chubby cheeks.

"That's exactly why they are getting away with it because of softies like you honey," Chachi sighed.

I muffled my laughter with the back of my hand and shrugged at her. She pinched my cheek, and I giggled. She playfully smacked my arm, and I walked away with the platter designed with henna tubes. The candle in the middle was surrounded with jasmine flowers, and I took one hand and curved it around the flame so it didn't flicker out.

I felt someone tug the pleats of my sari and thanked Allah for pinning it the second time. I looked down, and moved the platter to the side revealing a very angry Sahar.

"Mami!" she yelled.

"What's wrong Sahar jaani?" I bent down to her level, the drape of my sari pooling around me.

"They ate my jalebi!" she accused angrily and pointed to the hysterical kids on the other side of the room.

I looked at where she was pointing to and laughed as I remembered Hafsa Chachi being upset with them. I looked back at her and titled my head to the side. I took my free hand and smoothed the lines on her forehead.

"That's okay, don't worry. Can I tell you a secret?" I whispered theatrically.

"What secret?" she perked up.

"We have a lot more jalebis and sweets left just for us. Nani hid them in the kitchen, and we'll have them when we are all alone," I whispered childishly to her.

"Huh!" she gasped.

I smiled and kissed her cheek. "Yup! Now pinky promise you won't tell anyone," I stretched my pinky out.

"Pinky promise," she locked hers in mine.

We shook on it, and I pointed to my cheek. "Now where's my kiss?" I asked.

She shined her cute smile with dimples and leaned into my cheek. Sahar gave me a noisy kiss, and I laughed at her cuteness.

As I turned my head to the other side giving her easy access to the opposite cheek, I spotted Izhar watching us from where he stood. He looked like a Greek statue in his white on white kurta and salwar. He winked at me once our eyes met, and I shook my head at him. He smiled and carried on his conversation with Kareem Phuppo and Arslan Chachu.

Sahar ran away in her long pink flowery lehenga. I got up from where I had bent down to the floor and walked towards the stage in the back middle of the room. The festivities had started, and everyone was extremely excited. The Mehndi was minimized to close friends and family so that no one was limited to their fun.

"Here you go my love," I said and handed the plate decorated with mehndi tubes to Mahirah.

"Thank you Bhabi jaan," she said and took the plate out of my hands.

"The mehndi artists are here, we gave them appetizers. They're sitting with Huda Appi, and then in sha Allah they'll start," I said.

"Perfect! Bhabi, you and Huda Appi need to put henna on too," she said.

"We will in sha Allah. I'll send Huda Appi as soon as majority of you finish. She needs to feed Sahar, and then I'll send Ammi, Chachi, Phuppo, and everyone else. I'll come once it calms down," I said.