Chapter Nine

Authors note:

Question out there for any readers - there are quite a lot of 'flashback' type scenes in this part of the book.  When I wrote the book a few years ago I wrote about seven or eight chapters in a row that were all him talking about past events so as to show he was treated by his Mum and Stepfather.  I have been trying to incorporate them more into the story as it goes along (and have got a rid of a lot as I realised they are probably overly graphic and unnecessary).  

Not sure how it is working out but hey :-)  

Question was this:  Would it be easier to read if these 'flashback' scenes were in italics?  

All thoughts welcome - please comment!

Thanks for reading.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rubbed my eyes with the corner of my just-about dry sleeve and tried not to drip any dirty water into my eyes.  The weather was too cold to be washing windows but Mum didn't give a crap.  She wanted me doing chores and it seemed like she had thought up the most unpleasant ones she could.

I had already cleaned the toilets and emptied the bins since I got back from school but her list was endless.

I didn't want Tony to have a reason to lay another one on me, so I made sure that I was meticulous.

I knew my way around cleaning products so well that I would make an awesome house husband in the future.  I smirked at the thought of living a life dressed in a pinny, brandishing a feather duster.

Tuesday at school hadn't been much different than Monday.  The only exception was that Chris and the rest of the gang couldn't be put off any longer without an explanation of my 'fight'.  So I had waxed lyrical about an encounter with a kid from another school, who hadn't liked a tackle I had made on him on the rugby pitch a few weeks back.   They lapped it up; I guess I was a good storyteller (read-liar) these days.  Lyla had removed herself from the conversation and Chris had laughed at how squeamish she was.

Poor Lyla, I thought as I scrubbed at the dirt on the kitchen window.

The sound of a car caught my attention and I looked up to see an unfamiliar car pull into the driveway.

Moments later, Tony jumped out of the car; his shift must have finished.  A familiar face got out of the passenger and a flood of memories began to flush into my mind as I saw him.

Sergeant Mark Jeffries walked up alongside Tony and called out.

"Catching up on some spring cleaning there Jacob?" Humour tinkled through his tone.

I bent my head and didn't reply.

"He is on punishment" I heard Tony reply.

"Aah, I see" said Jeffries, his tone changing. "In trouble again, huh?"

Their voices were closer now, and raised my head to see them practically in front of me.

"Woah, someone popped you good" Jeffries exclaimed.

I stayed silent.  Tony spoke up.

"Yeah, they did" He said, a small flash of guilt edging through his eyes. " Fighting again with some kid down the street"

"Tsk" said Jeffries, shaking his head at me. "If you aren't careful, you'll end up down at the station with us.  Its not a nice place to be, I assure you"