Chapter 24

As quick as they possibly could, Rebel fighters dashed after the Falcon and into the heart of the Second Death Star, the tensions high as they realized the risks of their mission. It would be a strenuous one, one much more difficult than the Battle of Yavin.

And the Battle of Yavin had only two X-Wing pilots survive...

"Here goes nothing..." Lando muttered, pushing the freighter forward and into the sudden cave of metal wires and steel teeth.

"We're going in as well." Wedge's voice came over the comm, surprisingly calm as he led the chase through the ever-narrowing shaft, two X-Wings, four other fighters, and the Falcon right behind him. It wasn't long before the screeching blaster fire of TIE's were on their tail, pursuing them in an attempt to protect their monster of a machine. However, the Rebel pilots held their calm as they dodged the laser bolts and focused on getting through the dark shaft and to the center of the Death Star.

"Lock onto the strongest power source. It should be the power generator." Lando called to the fighters, keeping tight to the piloting controls as he maneuvered TIE fire and the narrow walls closing around them.

"Form up. And stay alert. We could run out of space real fast." Wedge added, getting firm acknowledgements throughout the squadron.

The small team of fighters and the freighter zoomed through, gaining speed the more they approached the center. It wasn't long, however, before one of the TIE fighters managed a shot off one of the X-wings, the vehicle exploding with the pilot screaming their last.

Lando bit his lip, knowing those fighters would be a problem if they wanted to get in and out intact. His finger hit the comm once again. "Split up and head back to the surface. See if you can get a few of those TIE fighters to follow you."

"Copy, Gold Leader." One of the pilots said, and immediately, the Rebel ships peeled off to the side to be instantly followed by three of the TIE's, just as planed. Wedge and Lando remained behind, still speeding through the main tunnel. The narrowing slowly became a problem as the Falcon scraped the side dangerously. Lando only hoped he wouldn't damage anything. Han would surely have some kind of hissy fit.

Two extra TIE fighters remained at their tail, still blasting away at them spastically. The Falcon brushed the wall dangerously once again and Lando fought for control, cursing softly under his breath. He turned to Nien with an exasperated look. "That was close."

The Sullustan nodded his agreement.

Back outside of the Second Death Star's interior, several of the Rebel cruisers had continued their battle and were firing at the giant Super Star Destroyer which was no longer protected behind the shield.

"We've got to give those fighters more time. Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer." Ackbar called to the remaining fighters, his finned hands trembling as he thought about the outcome of this battle. They could win...it was a possibility with the shield gone now...but would they?

Admiral Ackbar wasn't the only worried one however. Admiral Piett and a commander stood at the viewport of the Super Star Destroyer, both of them looking concerned at the battle before them.

One of the controllers turned up to the men, looking anxious as he delivered his report. "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield."

Piett scowled. "Intensify the forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through."

The controller nodded quickly and Piett stole a glance at the nervous commander beside him. His eyes suddenly widened as he caught sight of a damaged Rebel fighter spinning out of control and heading directly for the bridge. Piett noticed as well and whirled back around to the controller. "Intensify forward firepower!"