Chapter 2

I woke up earlier than intended the next morning, even before my alarm clock went off.

It's not like I'm so psyched to go to school just to be thrown death glares and have my life threatened. I guess I'm just a morning person.

I immediately went to the bathroom to take a soothing shower.

After which, I rummaged through my closet and picked my usual baggy jeans, simple white shirt and a beanie. Then I slid into my Converse, put on my huge-framed glasses and prepared my things essential for the day. 

I don't know if it's just a figment of my imagination, but I think I heard some clattering of utensils downstairs.

My heart picked up pace, as I thought of something bad to happen. It couldn't be my parents because I know they'd be asleep right now.

I didn't know what to do. I grabbed the nearest object to me, which was a vase on my study table.

I tiptoed my way downstairs, my heartbeat increasing with every step.

I was in the middle of the stairs when I must've created some kind of noise that made the clattering and the intruder stopped in his tracks. I then heard footsteps advancing towards me.

Next thing I knew, I was running towards the kitchen, with the vase gripped tightly in my hands.

Just as I reached the landing, and was about to turn right to the direction of the kitchen, I collided with someone, no doubt the intruder.

I fell on my butt, making my head dizzy and my vision blurred.

The vase I was holding dropped to the ground, creating an earsplitting noise.

In just a matter of seconds, I regained my composure and as I faced the so called 'intruder', I didn't know what to feel.

My mouth hung opened and my eyes gone wide as my own bestfriend stood right in front of me.

He bit his lower lip, no doubt stopping the urge to laugh. Unfortunately, he did not.

Instead, he laughed so loudly that the whole neighborhood could possibly hear.

Tears of laughter streamed down his face as he clutched his stomach from laughing like there's no tomorrow.

I glared at him. "How could you laugh at a situation like this?! You scared me to death! I could've died of a heart attack there!" I shouted, feeling my throat sore from doing so. But I couldn't care less.

"You should've s-s-seen y-your face! It's p-priceless! He said through his uncontrollable laughter. When he saw the expression on my face, he stopped.  

"Oh c'mon Maddi. We are bestfriends, I'll always pick you up after I'm done laughing." He said, a little bit of forced seriousness filling his words.

"Oh yeah?" I snorted. "Pissed off Xander." I said, giving him the best death glare I could possibly muster.  

Before I could further interrogate him, I remembered to ask him the question that caused all of this commotion.

"Hey. What are you doing here so early in the morning by the way?" I asked him, anger still lingering in my voice.

"What kind of question is that? I came to see you of course. I thought you might want company in going to school. And in case you forgot, you've given me a key to this house." He replied nonchalantly.

I mentally slapped myself at that realization. How could I be so stupid not to think of that? I guess I'm being paranoid. But I changed the subject, not wanting it to be the reason of my humiliation in front of my bestfriend.

"Uhm, are you sure your fine? It's kind of weird for you to wake up this early. I mean I kind of figured out you're not a morning person." I wondered aloud.

"Uh, I-I made you breakfast!" He stuttered, his voice higher than intended. The thought of Xander stuttering cracked a smile on my lips. That's definitely something. I wonder why.

"Wait, I'll clean this up first." I said to him, pointing at the broken vase on the floor. And mind you, I'm quite surprised that my parents haven't noticed the commotion that happened. Wow. They must be really tired.

"No! I will do it. Just eat what I prepared for you. We would be late." He smiled and I saw a hint of guilt written on his face.

I cursed under my breath at the thought of me being late. "Okay, be careful." I reminded him.

*-*

Xander walked me to my first period, which is History. Luckily, we arrived at the school campus 10 minutes before the bell rang.

For the first time in a long time, I was happy to have to go to school today. I wasn't bothered by the bullies, all thanks to Xander.

He is quite popular in our school, no doubt because of his looks. And guess what? He's oblivious to it. He thinks that people were just being friendly and nice to him. Yeah, he's that smart. Note sarcasm.

Anyway, the day passed by in a blur, because next thing I knew, I was walking towards the school parking lot, heading to Xander's car.

When I got there, he was quite busy talking to Matt that he didn't even notice me coming.

Matt is Xander's closest boy friend.

Oops..... That came out wrong. 

I meant Matt is Xander's closest guy friend. Sorry about that.

"Maddi, you're here!" Xander said, noticing me for the first time.

"Good. You noticed." I said the obvious.

"Hey Maddison." I heard Matt greeted me.

"Hey Matt." I returned his greeting politely.

If you're wondering why he even paid the slightest bit of his attention to me, well that's because he's not like the others.

He treated me like a normal person and not once did he even say anything negative about me. He treated me the same exact way of how Xander treated me and still do.

But our relationship is not even close to what Xander and I share. I see him a couple of times whenever I go to Xander's house on weekends but I consider him as a friend, which reminds me, I now have two friends. Yay to me.

*-*

"Maddi? Maddi, we're here." I felt someone shook me. I slowly opened my eyes. I didn't even know when I fell asleep. Gosh, I'm quite into sleeping these days. It took a while for me to notice that we arrived at my house.

"Oh. Thanks Xander, see you tomorrow." We exchanged our goodbyes and hugs as I got out of the car.

"Bye Maddison!" I heard Matt say before I slammed the door shut.

"Oh! Bye Matt! See you around." I said anyway as I felt my cheeks go warm. You know why? Because I forgot that he was there for crying out loud.

I guess I'm just used to the fact that it's always me and Xander hanging around together that sometimes, people around us came unnoticed.

That's because there's no one except Xander and Matt paid any of their attention to me. It's not like I need theirs anyway. All I need is someone that's willing to be my friend and accepts who and what I am without a second thought.

But I know I already found one and I thought how lucky I am to have a bestfriend like Xander.

I thank God everyday for giving him to me and even though I have those people who bully me until the last inch of my life, I believe that God won't give us problems that he knows we can't do.

And I felt guilty about not telling Xander that, I just don't want him to risk himself just to protect me. I just have to have faith and be strong right?  

Yeah, that's just what I needed but can I really bare it?  

I hope so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Vote? Comment? Share? :)