Chapter 4

"So, tell me." Xander demanded, drumming his fingers on our usual lunch table.

"What?" I asked even though I knew exactly what he's talking about.

He frowned. "Don't play dumb. I know you know what I'm talking about."

"But the thing is I don't." I lied.

"Remember when I said that I won't let it slip next time around? I know there's something you're not telling me Maddison Troy and you need to tell me, right here, right now." He said sternly, making me shiver at the tone he's using.

He called me by my full name, which only means he's being serious and determined. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, not knowing how to answer him.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, forcing my voice to come out strong even though I felt the exact opposite inside.

He rolled his eyes. "I want to know what's been going on with you lately and you have to explain about that so called 'dinner' of yours last Friday night." His voice full of suspicion when he asked.

I let out a nervous laugh, just to ease the tension that's beginning to suck the air between us.

"Pfft. Oh you know .. I've just been invited to dinner in a local restaurant. That's all." I replied nervously, hoping he would buy it.

"And who is this friend of yours that invited you? And how come I wasn't informed about this?" He wondered.

"Oh yeah, about that. Uh, my phone shut down just before I was about to call you and it was a last minute invitation by Susan so..." I was surprised at how my mind worked fast to come up with that idea or more likely a lie.

"Susan who?" Xander asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

Somehow, I was glad to have met Susan and Patrick Lewis last Friday night because they helped me to have a cover up for the lies I've said. I even wonder when I could see them again.

"Susan Lewis and her brother Patrick." I told him. 

"Why would they invite someone like you? How do you know them?" He asked straightforwardly. Truth be told, I was a little bit hurt by the question, so I shot him back with what I feel.

"What did you just say? Am I that hideous to be invited by them? Or am I not that good enough to even let them know that I exist?" I replied, a mixture of confidence and hurt lingering in my voice.

Xander blinked. A blank expression plastered on his face, obviously realizing how his question came out wrong to me.

"M-Maddi.. I didn't mean it like that." He said, his voice softer than I've ever heard them.

"Right. Because you're just worried for me and blah blah blah. I get it." I replied sarcastically.

I quickly got out of my seat and before Xander could even move a muscle, I was out of the cafeteria.

*-*

"Okay class. I'm going to assign you with a partner and you only have 3 weeks to make a project, which will be further explained later. For now, as I call your names, meet up with your partner and get to know each other for a little while." Mrs. Johnson, our English teacher instructed us.

I internally groaned as I thought of the person I'm going to be paired up with. I just hope he or she would be kind enough to even talk to me.

"Okay. Listen here." Mrs. Johnson said as the class erupted into excited giggles while some let out wild groans.

"So this is the list of names I prepared for this pair share project.

..Maybelline and Maricris, Justin and Crisyl, Airah and Kaye...." As my teacher was reading the list, I couldn't help but wonder who she picked to be my partner with. I also--