Chapter 16

Maddi's P.O.V

Finally, the day before my 'big day' has arrived. I couldn't be more, for the lack of a better word, psyched. I don't exactly know the reason why I have this uncomfortable feeling settling itself in the pit of my stomach. It almost got me convinced that something unexpected or unusual will happen. But, I shrugged it off anyway. 

I was biting my nails, a habit that I unfortunately developed over the past few days, when someone surreptitiously put their hands over my eyes. Naturally, my heart skipped a beat at the unexpected action. 

I turned around, revealing Reece, the culprit. Why does he always do this to me? Scaring me when I least expect it?

“What are you doing here? How did you even get in?” I whisper-yelled at him, causing him to snicker down at me.

“Now, now. Don’t treat me like a stranger Maddi. Of course, you left your front door open so I got in. And by the way, I like scaring you.” He flashed me his most innocent smile which can almost convince you he’s as innocent as a newborn.

“I’m glad you were entertained at my expense.” I snorted out in reply while he jumped on the couch beside me, making me bounce at the action. I sighed. Boys…

“So, what are you doing here? Need help with homework?” I asked nonchalantly as I continued to surf the net in search of something worthy for my attention to be diverted to, aside from Reece’s annoying presence at this Friday night.

“What makes you think that I only come to you for homework?” He raised an eyebrow at me. Challenging me to come up with a good answer.

“Isn't that what you always come here for?” I fired back in a ‘duh’ tone.

“No, that’s not true!” He whined and pouted like a 5-year-old. Someone enlighten me on how this boy got to be my friend.

“Cut the drama Reece. What do you want?” I asked, not beating around the bush since I’m not in the mood to playfully argue with him.

He sighed. “Okay fine. I came here to ask you something. And it’s not about homework or anything school-related.”

“Now that’s big news. Reece Matthews is about to ask me something not school-related. Well then, let’s hear it.” I said, feigning shock at his previously uttered words.

“I.. I was just wondering if you could.. uhmm…” He scratched the back of his head and the hesitation is evident in his voice.

“Spill it, Reece.” I impatiently said. What is it that he needed to ask me that requires him coming over to my house and eventually scaring me through the process? I mean he could’ve just called or texted me or even—

“So? What do you say?” He snapped me out from my train of thoughts and that’s when I realized I missed his whole question.

“Oh. What was that? I didn’t catch it. Sorry.” I stupidly grinned like an idiot.

He sighed. Again. “I am asking you to be my date for tomorrow night’s party Maddison Troy.”

I blinked. Twice. Thrice. Over and over again. Did I hear right? Or was I just hallucinating? My dropped jaws and my bulged eyes, wide as gigantic saucers were a total giveaway for Reece that I was indeed debating on whether what I just heard seconds ago is true or not.

“Maddi? Are you okay? W-well if you don’t want to, I can find someone else.” He finally spoke, breaking the ear piercing silence that settled in the atmosphere around us. That’s when I found the urge to compose myself and finally letting my mouth speak for me.