Chapter 12

Maddi's P.O.V.

Today, I chose to finally go back to school. It's not like I could sulk all day, drowning myself with more pressure than I actually need. I made a mental note to apologize to two of my very few friends and just get it over and done with.

After finding out that the other one who I considered as my bestfriend for as long as I can remember was just toying with me all this time, the last thing I ever needed was to lose the rest of them, not to mention they're not a lot.

Lesson learned:  Before you get really close to someone to the extent that you allow yourself for them to have a special place in your heart, get to know them first. And with that I mean REALLY get to know them so you won't be able to find yourself in a state of great shock from finding out that they got to know you only for them to stab you in the back later on.

I still can't believe he did that to me. He must have done a really great job, I even thought he deserved an award for being such a good actor, fooling me through the process. I mean, out of all the times that we were together, it felt so... real. I couldn't detect anything to make it all suspicious. All the things he said and did to me felt so true.

Now that I think of it, a question keeps lingering on my mind. How could I be so stupid

I felt a single tear prickle down my cheek as I was heading to my English class. That's when I realized that I should push those thoughts aside and not let it get under my skin. This is a brand new day and I plan to make it as normal as possible where I don't need to worry about things that could make my mood drop in just a matter of seconds.

This was the day where I should go back to my usual ways of dealing with people and things on a daily basis. With that thought, I felt instantly determined and kept my head up, ready to face whatever this day has to offer.

As I got inside my room, I felt several eyes on me but I kept my cool and headed to my usual seat at the back where all the 'losers', they say, are at. As I scanned the room, I found myself to be in deep thought and it was just a matter of seconds that I realized I was staring directly at Susan, of all people.

She just gave me this you're-really-creeping-me-out look. Well I'm aware that staring is rude but in my defense, she just so happened to cross my line of vision where I zoned out of everything around me. Definitely not my fault.

When the teacher entered, my lips crept up into a small smile just to let her know I was sorry for what has gone between us. But her face remained emotionless. Before I could let my thoughts go far, Mrs. Johnson spoke up.

"Good Morning class. Since the deadline for your pair-share project is just a few days away, I'm giving you the opportunity to do the finishing touches and others who haven't completed their interviews yet, you might as well do it now. So, everyone, get to work!" She said, clasping her hands together at the end. Like a boss. 

I got up from my seat and strode towards Susan. 

"Hey. You're right about everything. I wanted to apologize about the way I acted. I know I was a jerk to you and it was all because I really wasn't thinking straight. I hope you'd understand." I finished with hope in me that she'd believe all I said.

She looked at me for a moment, probably trying to figure me out but when my words sunk in, she let out a sigh.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it. I'm sorry as well, for those things I said to you. You know what? Why don't we forget all about this and proceed in finishing our project. Sounds good?" She compromised and I beamed at her. I was so delighted that we're in good terms again.