Chapter 6

After that incident with Xander, I didn't bother to eat or talk. I just stayed in my bed, curled up in a ball and bawled my eyes out for God knows how long.

How I could face everything tomorrow and the day after that, I would never know. What I know is, that sooner or later, Xander would keep coming back to me with tons of questions I couldn't even imagine answering.

What would I say? That everytime I come near to him, he is risking his own safety and I'm not doing anything about it? That's downright stupid.

I'll do everything to protect him, even if that means avoiding him for the rest of eternity. I may be bawling my eyes out now, but sooner, I'll get used to it.

Yeah, that's right Maddi. Do it for Xander, do it for your bestfriend.

But a part of me, a little part of me says I couldn't and I never will. But I pushed that thought away, trying to lessen the heavy amount of confusion that's fighting its way in my mind.

*-*

I didn't know when or how I fell asleep but I just woke up to the loud ringing of my phone.

I reached for it lazily, cursing under my breath for the person who interrupted my dreamless sleep at the other end of the line.

"Speak." I answered it.

"What an attitude you've got there babe." I immediately recognized the voice.

"Susan? Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?" I replied, eyes still closed.

"Middle of the night huh? Are you kidding me? Well if you're not, just open that freaking eyes of yours, idiot." She scolded me and I immediately sat bolt upright, my eyes flinched at the sunlight that's radiating from the windows.

"Shoot! What time is it?!" I nearly shouted, panic filled over me quicker than intended.

"Woah! Needless to shout young lady, you're destroying my sense of hearing. Definitely not my fault that you overslept." She retorted.

I just ignored her and blinked my eyes couple times to get used to the sudden rush of light that entered through the windows.

I turned my head to where my nightstand is located and noticed that it was quarter to 1 in the afternoon.

I growled, feeling angry at myself for my tardiness. It took a couple beats of silence before Susan spoke again and for me to realize that she's still at the other end of the line.

"So are you gonna tell me what happened or what?" She asked impatiently.

"Tell you what?" I played dumb even if I knew what she meant.

"Duh? I mean what's wrong with you? You're usually the early bird and now what? And, your bestfriend here is a mess. A total mess. He looked really horrible Maddison, it look like he didn't even get a second to sleep." She informed me and guilt started to consume me, I started to blame myself all over again.

"R-really?" I stuttered.

"Yeah, if only you were here, you would understand what I mean. Also, that brat, whom I think was named Carla, was hanging out with him, she started to really get close to him, it was like her life depended on it." She said disapprovingly and I gritted my teeth, avoiding for the possibility of my temper to rise at an insane amount.

She's starting huh? How pathetic and desperate of her. If only Xander's safety is not involved here, I swear I would strangle her until she begged for undying mercy.

"... and also Vanessa's party this Saturday." I was confused at what Susan was saying and what the hell have parties got to do with our conversation.