Chapter 11

• Dedicated to Patrick Estella

Xander's P. O. V.

I've never felt so dreadful in my life. Right now, I'm undoubtedly the worst person ever, or bestfriend, to be exact.

I know that what I did was just out of impulse and sheer stupidity and may cause my bestfriend's fragile heart to shatter to a million pieces that has the possibility to be classified under the category of "not-to-be-mended-ever-again".

But surprisingly, I don't regret anything. I've seen this coming before I decided to risk breaking her heart. I know this is for the best. You may be wondering what the hell I'm talking about right now, but you'll know soon. And you would understand why I did it. This would be something that all of us could probably agree on.

Matt's P. O. V.

I've never felt so sorry for anyone. She was always the girl whom I knew to be carefree, happy and the one who would just turn the other cheek if someone was about to cause her to make a fool out of herself.

But today was different. What I saw was a whole new different side of her that I've never imagined nor seen before. She was so... fragile. Seeing her breaking down in muffled sobs, being so hopeless and just wishing for a miracle to happen was so painful and hard to comprehend in a normal person's mind.

Honestly, I don't know why the hell I care. I never cared for anyone, unless they're family or someone whom I dearly trust. And she's neither of those. But I do. Is it because she's a girl? Or someone whom I knew to be a great person? Or there's something more about her that I can see beyond her glasses and different personality?  

Whatever that is, it's driving me crazy. Well, she's driving me crazy.

Anyway, it's a brand new day. And it's also been 3 days in a row since Maddi has been absent. She skipped school and I haven't seen her since the last time I saw her was the day of her breakdown.

I had this sudden urge to visit her and to see if she's doing well but a part of me tells me otherwise. I'm not so sure but... I sort of miss her. Huh. Stupid brain to come to such conclusion.

Well about Xander, I still haven't talked to him nor confronted him about the whole "bet" thing. I can't see why he'd do such a thing. I know him well enough to say that he's up to something beyond that stupid facade of his. And that something is probably what he think is for the best. 

Or so I thought.

"Matt! Hey!" I heard someone's voice calling my name as i was passing down the hallway to go to my locker. 

As I turned around, I saw that girl who became quite acquainted with Maddi at the party, I think her name was Susan. 

"Uh, yeah?" I responded confusingly.

"Uh, you're also friends with Maddi, aren't you?" She asked.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" 

"I was just wondering maybe you know what happened to her? She's been gone for days now and I really was looking for her." She said, worry laced through her voice.

I was hesitant for a moment before I answered. "Uh, I'm really sorry but I'm not the right person to give you an appropriate answer to that question."

"Oh okay... thanks anyway." She said politely before I flashed her a quick smile. As I turned my back to her, she spoke again.

"Well, if you're not so busy, perhaps you could accompany me to visit her? You know, just to make sure she's in a good condition." She asked hesitantly before she offered me a smile.