Chapter 10

I. Can't. Take. It. 

Those words, those four words were the only ones that occupied my mind in the entirety of Matt and I's journey. Yet I don't even know nor cared wherever the hell we're headed to. Because what I heard made my heart shutter to a million pieces, I even heard it breaking. The pain was too much to bare. I doubt that it would subside soon. Okay, to fill you of the dreadful event that caused my misery at the moment, here's what happened.

The hallways are almost deserted as I made my way to my locker, mentally cursing myself for forgetting my History book.

As I was nearing it, I heard voices. So being the person that I am, I turned the corner to see the source of the hushed noise. Bad idea. What I saw was a happy Carla, with her hands around Xander's neck. Yes that's right. Xander. He meanwhile had his arms around her waist. By the looks of it, they seemed to have done something a 'couple' usually do. Know what I mean?

But that wasn't why my heart shattered and sank to the pit of my stomach. It was the words that Xander managed to utter next that hurt.

"So, what happens now babe? What about Maddison?" Carla smirked while looking at him.

"Nah, she's just a nobody. We had this bet, me and the guys, to make someone so close to us, in just a friendly way of course, gain their trust then after a quite amount of time, tell them it was all a bet and dump them. And they just so happened to pick the innocent, little nerd, Maddi." He finished and tears immediately sprung out of my eyes uncontrollably. I tried to control it. I even covered my mouth to stop the sobs from escaping and risk the possibility of it being heard. I wanted to hear the whole story. 

"But you're so close to her and I thought she means the world to you. You're her bestfriend right?" Carla asked and I swear there's a hint of laughter in her voice.

"That's part of the plan. Make someone feel the world to you but we've talked about this before starting the bet. I made a promise that I would never get attached and use my heart in this kind of situation." He nonchalantly said. I must've created some kind of noise because the next thing I knew, Xander called me, surprised than ever.

Me, on the other hand tried to hold back the tears and forced my voice to come out strong despite of the seemingly unbearable pain.

"No. You don't have to explain. I heard it all. Thank you for everything. At least I felt for once in my life that I was something. Bless you and I hope you're happy with the prize because you WON. This is done and over with. Congratulations!" I tried to sound enthusiastic, but miserably failed. All I remember before running back to Matt crying was the faint echo of Xander's voice calling my name.

"Maddi!" I felt Matt tap my shoulder, snapping me out from my reverie.

"W-what?" I replied cluelessly as I looked around to where we stopped. We were at some kind of a deserted road, with trees all around that I could easily compare to the Forbidden Forest in the Harry Potter series.

"We're here." Matt said after a while.

"What's this?" I asked.

"C'mon, just follow me." We then got out of the car and I followed him to wherever he's going to take me. I haven't bothered complaining because I was so tired and all I wanted right now was to get this done and over with.

Not sooner than I expected, we've arrived in a clearing, with a beautiful lake nearby, shining under the moonlight.

"Matt, t-this is beautiful." I simply said, still awestruck with the view laid before me.

"I know. It's relieving actually. This is where I usually go when I get really frustrated or mad." He said, seriousness laced through his voice.

"Thanks by the way. For taking me here." I said gratefully.

"No problem at all. But would you mind telling me all about it?" He asked and I gulped. I've seen this coming. Although, I'm still mentally debating whether or not to tell him. I mean, he's close with Xander, and it's either he knows all about it and admit it to me or pretend he doesn't and play innocent. But I decided to tell him anyway because it's as if my life could get any worse.

"It's Xander." I started.

"What about him?" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"I heard them. He and Carla." I don't know why but tears started to build up again.

"What have you heard?"

"Xander said it was all a bet, you know being friends with me. He said that they needed someone to be close with him in a quite amount of time then dump them. And that someone just so unfortunately happened to be me." I finished, now sobbing uncontrollably. Matt meanwhile rubbed soothing circles on my back and pulled me in his arms. 

"Calm down Maddi. I'm sure Xander wouldn't do such a thing. He loves you. He wouldn't hurt you like that. I know him." He spoke gently and I was assured for a second before realizing all the words that came from Xander's mouth earlier.

"But he said it himself. Part of the plan was to make me feel important to him. Treat me like I mean the world to him then dump me afterwards. Don't you understand that, huh?" I snapped at him.

"Maybe he's just saying that. We're not sure yet. But if there really is a bet, he wouldn't go this far. I can see that you really mean something to him Maddison, I know Xander enough to tell you he didn't mean all of that, there must've some kind of a reason why." He explained.

"Yeah right. Because I most definitely don't understand how the world seems to be against me right now. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of being used, being so stupid, being worthless and being an outcast. All I ever desired was to live my life peacefully, is that too much too ask? And most of all, I'm tired of pretending to stay strong even though inside, I'm dying. Because the worst part of being strong is that no one bothers to ask if you're okay, you'll just suffer more and more each day." I said, drained from all emotions, I felt numb, I didn't know what to do and I felt so weak.

"It's okay Maddi, I'll be here for you. Let it all out. Breathe. Just try to clear your mind out of all these things that bothers you. Tell me when you feel better okay?" He said, trying to comfort me. I did what I was told. I looked up, letting the view calm the hell out of me. I tried to breathe in some fresh air, enjoying the soothing feeling it was giving me. And for the first time in the history of forever, I felt FREE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N : HeyHey! So here it is! Do you like it? Well, tell me what you think ;) This goes out to Live_Laugh_Love_22 for being so supportive of this story. Thanks a bunch love <3

(Photo of Selena Gomez as Maddison on the right)

Vote? Comment? Share? :)