27- The Calm Before the Storm.

Enjoy! xx

Chapter 27

For two weeks, every day before and after school I trained with my father and Amber. It was the most painful and mentally scarring thing I had ever went through, but I shut down my brain, and forced myself to ignore the pain in my body after training, I also suppressed my inner voice telling me I was being a complete idiot. In all honesty, I was scared out of my mind and I missed my brother and the company of my friends. I’ve been tied up, beaten up, and taught the most effective ways of protecting myself from werewolves. I learned the different strains of wolfsbane, and what all they did to a werewolf’s body; most of them resulting in a painful death.

I was a straight shooter, so my preferred weapon was a gun. However my dad forced me to learn how to use a crossbow, because “it could come in handy.” Whatever that meant. Honestly, I just wanted to kill that alpha and get revenge for Noah, I didn’t particularly care about the finer details.

I hadn’t seen Derek around since the day of Noah’s funeral, I found it strange, but I didn’t need him around. He was too much of a distraction. As for Hanna, she and I barely spoke, I missed her, but I had to keep my distance for her protection. The only person I was ever really around was Amber, and she was terrible company; but better than total solitude. She kept my mind off of my brother.

Besides, tonight was the full moon, and I was going out for my first hunt. And if my training pays off, it will be my first and last hunt. Because I was going to kill the alpha.

Hanna’s P.O.V.

Ever since Noah’s funeral, Nova has been a completely different person. She would ignore everyone at school, only speaking if she absolutely had to. I tried coming up to her, to talk to her, because I needed my best friend and I knew she needed me. But she would always find a way to end the conversation, and go about her way.

She’s also been hanging around Amber, and I knew that only meant one thing; she knew about werewolves, and she was going to hunt the one that killed Noah.

I couldn’t believe how incredibly stupid she was! She was going to wind up getting herself killed, and I can’t stand to lose Noah, and her. She wasn’t going to listen to me, I couldn’t get her told hold up an innocent conversation with me, much less convince her I know what she knows and she needed to back off for her own good. So I went to the one person she might actually listen to. I went to Derek.

I knocked on his front door, looking a mess, and not really caring. Nick answered, looking tired and concerned. “Hanna..? I’m so sorry about your boyfriend.” He comfortingly hugged me while taking me inside. It was nice to have a warm embrace from a guy, he wasn’t Noah, and he never would be, but I could at least enjoy this simple gesture of kindness. Couldn’t I?  “Are you here for Derek?” he asked, there was a slim amount of hope in his eyes that I wasn’t.

Nevertheless, I nodded my head yes, and he called Derek down. Nick really didn’t have to call Derek, because with their wolf ears they could hear something from a mile away, but I suppose, for normality, Nick felt the need to yell at him like a barbarian. Derek looked confused to see me, of all people. And I knew it was a complete shocker. Ever since Nick left me for Amber, I wasn’t exactly on good terms with Nick or his family. But I put my ego aside, remembering my reasons for being here.

“Derek, I need your help.” I said as plainly as I could.

He laughed, “You need my help, Hanna? When in a thousand years have you ever wanted my help?” He clutched his stomach, and continued to laugh at me.

I knew he would shut up if I got straight to the point, so that’s what I did. “It’s not for me, dumbass! I need your help with Nova.”

He straightened up and stopped laughing immediately, ha! I knew that would do the trick.

“What’s wrong with Nova? Is she hurt? Is she-” His eyes grew wide with fear, “Is she missing again?”

Oh Derek, You’re such a sucker!

“No, nothing like that, she isn’t hurt or missing. It’s just; ever since Noah-“I bit my lip, trying to hold back the tears, “-she hasn’t been the same. She’s cold as ice. She won’t talk to me, and I know she won’t talk to you. She’s shut everyone out, and I don’t know what to do.”

He looked at me, “You just said it, and she won’t talk to me either! What makes you think she’ll listen to a word I have to say? Hanna, I’ve managed to avoid her for two weeks for a reason.”

I narrowed my eyes, “Yeah, well, since you haven’t seen her lately you might have missed the fact that she’s Amber’s little sidekick now. Seeing as how Amber absolutely despises her, you know what that means.”

His eyes widened once again, “Hanna, she wouldn’t. She- she’s not like them. She knows the difference between right and wrong! She wouldn’t become a hunter!”

I shook my head; denial was not a good look for Derek. He seriously needed reality to smack him in the face soon. “I’m telling you she is, and you know what tonight is.” I said and stood up to leave, “Save my best friend, Derek, before it’s too late.”

Tonight was a full moon, and I prayed he could get Nova out of the woods, before something else found her. I needed my friend, without her, I wasn’t sure that I could cope with the loss of Noah for much longer.

---

It's short, but only because I'm updating twice today :)

Follow my blog and ask me questions

http://smells-like-a-teenblogger.tumblr.com/

song- Rocks and Water by Bill Evans & Megan Lynch