28- First Hunt.

Told you I was updating twice :)

Listen to song for effect!

Enjoy! xx

Chapter 28

I walked in the woods, following the hunting brigade, gun in hand. I was ready for tonight; I was ready to avenge Noah. However, no matter how ready my mind told me it was, my body betrayed me. I jumped at every sound, and chills covered me at every little howl I heard.

“Nova! Could you stop being such a fucking spazz! It’s really hard to hunt when you’re jumping at every sound!” Amber snapped, she wasn’t exactly happy with me tagging along tonight. She told my father countless times I wasn’t ready. But my dad being who he was didn’t listen.

“Amber Lynn! Watch your mouth!” Jack, Amber’s dad, scolded.

“Oh for fucks sake dad! We’re in the woods searching for a killer monster and you want me to ‘watch my mouth’?” She mocked. “Get real, that’s never happening!”

Jack just rolled his eyes and let out a breath, all while leading us farther into the woods. I was glad my dad and I weren’t like that, in fact, he wasn’t even like my dad. He was more like a boss, and I his employee. He tried to get closer to me, but every attempt he made I shut him out, and continued to train, rather than bond with someone I could just lose. I wasn’t going to hurt anymore, and my only solution being to keep everyone out.

A haunting growl I knew all too well sounded, bringing me from my thoughts. I picked up my gun, and aimed it towards the source. I couldn’t see anything, and before I knew it; Jack and Amber were knocked out cold on the ground. Fear washed over me, while I turned around slowly, trying to find the wolf. I didn’t even hear my dad set off a flare- it was used to blind the beast.

His attempt had failed, because he only angered him more- my dad now knocked out cold on the ground. I was alone, and I was terrified. “Come out. Show yourself!” I trembled. My body was full on shaking and I was completely petrified.

 My leg started burning furiously, just like when I would have those visions at night. I knew it had something to do with the wolf; I just didn’t want to confront it. I suppose I would have to now, seeing as how every experienced person around me was knocked out, and I just grasped I had no idea what I had gotten myself into.

A deadly growl sounded, louder, and definitely behind me. It was just like the first night I was in the woods, only this time- I knew what I was up against. I hastily turned around and aimed my gun towards the fiend that was the alpha. I was standing, face-to-face with the killer of my brother, and so many other innocents.

The thought along gave me enough strength to pull the trigger, and shoot the monster before me. The only problem was my gun didn’t go off. The alpha laughed- yes, he laughed- and pounced on top of me. My eyes grew wide with fear at the sight of his face, with the help of the moonlight, I could see clearly now. His looks alone were enough to give me nightmares for life; but his words were what set me off the most.

“You’re mine.” He growled menacingly. “Just like that foolish brother of yours. I’m going to take everything from your father- and you will be the final piece of the puzzle.”

A single tear left my eye, when he mentioned Noah. He killed him because of my dad, and now he was going to kill me too. Just as his humongous claw lashed up to hit me- a strong howl echoed in the distance, the alpha’s eyes grew wide, and he shot off of me, running towards the source.

I swallowed hard, and took a deep breath. I just came close to dying- again. I picked up my gun, why hadn’t it gone off? I checked to see if it was loaded, and it was. I had done everything right, so what had gone wrong? I mulled over it some more, before giving up. I proceeded to get my hunting group out of the woods, and to safety.