Chapter 31

Abril woke up to the sound of Cris's faint snoring and his arm draped around her waist. No matter how much she tried, she couldn't stop looking at the ring on her finger. The emerald was staring straight at her. It symbolized her future. No, their family's future.

It was the day after their engagement and they spent the night, with Cristianinho, watching Disney movies.

With a smile on her face, she practically leaped off the bed. She may or may not have shaken the bed whilst doing that because she heard a groan from the opposite side of the bed. There was a big and long lump laying on that side and it outstretched a limb as if grasping for something. The lump remained silent after the groan and then the steady snores were back.

Abril sighed in relief and quickly brushed her teeth, humming Walking On Sunshine. Cris can get a little cranky when he's woken up before 6 AM. It was 5:54 AM. Still to early for his liking.

As Abril entered her closet, her mood plummeted. She looked at her uniform and ran a finger along the fabric. She no longer worked at Real Madrid. The team she loved her entire life. The team she woke up to every morning, her phone buzzing with news alerts. Transfer news. Injury news. There wasn't much happy news to be honest. It was always how they were disqualified from the Champions League or sometimes how they were 9 points behind Atletico or Barcelona. Barcelona was in charge of being the best club in the world for the most part. But Abril was still a Madridista. No matter what.

She remembers the day she got the job like it was yesterday

"Now we will move on to the students who have excelled academically," The dean of students at John Hopkins University said.

Abril sat anxiously at her seat. The couple hundred students that sat around her mostly had their diplomas already and were now yawning. She checked her gold watch to see it was 12:45 in the afternoon. You see, time wouldn't have been much of a problem if she didn't have a date with her boyfriend, Jonathan at 1:30. He said he had something important to tell her.

The wait couldn't have been any longer, "Summa Cum Laude: Abril Delano."

Abril basically raced to the stage and eagerly took the diploma from his hands without forgetting to pose for a picture because her mom would kill her if she didn't at least smile for the camera.

Graduation was finally over and Abril was just getting done with saying thank you to her family members for coming when Jonathan came over with the goofy smile she fell in love with.

"Congrats, babe," He said, kissing her lips and wrapping his arms around her waist. "Should I start calling you Dr. Delano now?"

"Em, no. Do you hear me calling you Engineer Rivera? But you can call me, Dr. Sexy," She chuckled lightly and kissed the freckles that were sprinkled all over his face.

He pulled away lightly and flashed her a crooked smile, "Well, Dr. Sexy, we have a date."

"We do."

They walked out of the auditorium hand in hand.

When they reached the restaurant, Abril sat down and Jonathan sat right across her. For the first time that day, Abril sensed something weird in Jonathan.

He seemed distraught. In the cab, on the way to the restaurant, he was constantly checking his phone or texting someone.